Rye Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennywisest

Reaction score
I am going to brew an all grain Roggenbier for the first time and was looking for advice.

Grain Bill:
5# Rye Malt (39%)
4# Munich 20L (31%)
3# Pilsner (24%)
8 oz Flaked Rye (4%)
4 oz Chocolate (Roasted) Rye (2%)

Since I am using 24% pilsner should I go with a 90 minute boil or will I be okay with a vigorous 60 min boil?
I am planning on doing a single infusion mash at 151 for 60 mins, and then batch sparge. Do I need any other steps when working with rye? I plan on adding rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge.

Any other advice for working with rye is appreciated. Thank you.

recipe looks fine - I've now done two rye batches and to me, using rye is a lot like using wheat. Rye makes the mash a bit more sticky. I've not used rice hulls but I think I might next time. I also have yet to get a bright beer with rye but again - think of it like wheat and you won't be surprised.

I like the grain bill - I was thinking of some sort of rye version of a dunkelweisse or even weizenbock (ryezenbock?) but I'm not sure how the rye would taste in a big beer.

Use more rice hulls than you think you need. Rye turns to glue in the mash. I also figure on a little more absorption because of that. Otherwise, I think you're fine. I've done beers with 100% Pilsner for 60 minutes without any problems. Like you said, just keep a good rolling boil going.

Thanks for the responses. Is there any benefit for doing a protein rest with Rye? I am not worried about haze/cloudiness since I expect that in wheats/ryes and I plan on adding in the rice hulls to combat mash stickiness.

Back