New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik147

Reaction score
I've been looking around online at all the different stores on what to buy. I am looking to start brewing as a hobby. Can I have suggestions as to which kit would be best for simple brewing for a beginner.

Northern Brewer or Midwest Supply sell good starter kits. Remember that u need a nice kettle to brew with too so if you don'thave one thats at least 4-5 gallon you wanna invest in one of those too.

These kits are also nice cuz they have the very basic and u can always add stuff to them as your experience grows.

Ok cool. I would really like to brew some ambers. I don't really see much beginner kits with ambers though. Is it harder to brew ambers?

I'd say if you buy a starter set up that comes with a kit. Do that first then do an amber. I looked at Northern Brewers sight and any of their ambers look very doable for a first timer. Cheers!

Not at all! (harder to brew amber)

If the kits come with a first set of ingredients you can customize an amber, I'd think. If not, you can buy an amber ingredient kit as well and brew it as your second brew. Or brew the amber as your first brew.

Also despite fancy form order web page look, there's human beings behind the front. If you write an email that you'd like a starter kit but would prefer the amber ingredient kit rather than the ingredient kit that's bundled with the equipment, I'm *sure* they'll be willing to work something out.

Meanwhile... Northern Brewer has 9 Amber Ingredient Kits (I'm assuming you want to start with extract although you, of course, don't have to). But you are right. The choice for the starter kit only comes with 3 choices of ingredient kits. I actually imagine that this is simply to avoid intimidating customers more than anything else. Try sending them an email and see what the say. (Or you can order the amber ale kit at the same time and make their default kit your second brew.)

The Midwest Supplies Equipment kits don't come with your first ingredient kit (factor that into the cost comparison) so you can order their amber ale ingredient kits separately. Or you can order anyone else's amber kit. (My LHBS makes a good one ... jes' pluggin' .... Actually, since my LHBS has been so good to me I guess I should point out they maybe have a decent equipment starter kit too. Although it's probably not the cheapest deal you can find. Especially with shipping.)

I started with Northern Brewer's Deluxe kit. It had some items that are now extra. You will need a pot. I started with a 20 qt stock pot from the grocery store. They are about $20 At Northern Brewer you can add an amber kit. Maybe this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/american-amber-ale-extract-kit.html

I opted for the Better Bottles as I thought they would be lighter and safer than glass carboys. I have not regretted the decision. I have bought a couple more. If you can I would get two 6 gallon bottles rather than a 6 and a 5. I rarely secondary anymore.

I started from that kit and have been adding ever since. I still use most of the starter equipment.

At the moment I have a Brown ale, a smoked malt ale "Shire Ale" and a Black IPA in my fermentation chamber.

You'll also want a good book. "How to Brew" by Palmer is very well written, and there is an older edition free online. Welcome to the hobby!

I'd say if you buy a starter set up that comes with a kit. Do that first then do an amber. I looked at Northern Brewers sight and any of their ambers look very doable for a first timer. Cheers!

I don't see any reason he shouldn't order an amber ingredient kit at the same time and do the amber first and the starter ingredient kit second.

Or he could buy an equipment kit that doesn't come with an ingredient kit. Although the ingredient kit at a $30 value is a pretty attractive offer. But then you have to factor in shipping...

Lessee:
Northern Brewer ($80) comes with an ingredient kit (a $35 value).

Midwest ($65) doesn't come with the ingredient kit but it does come with a hydrometer (!essential!) a 5-8 dollar value.

What about carboy vs bucket fermentation and would it make a difference if its glass or plastic carboy.

Back