What does your HBT name mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afghanvet_2x said:
Yes there is a story behind my username, The name explains it all. It is my username on all forums, I subscribe too, but I should really change it to Afghanvet_3x because I have been there 3 times and Iraq once. I don't change it because I would get confused between forums so I just keep it simple.

Thank you.

I have absolutely no reason for choosing my name other than I like the way the word sounds. I've been using it for a long time now, it's my default user name for everything.

Perhaps the most uninteresting backround story of them all, but eh. I dig it.

Great short story by Raymond Carver though.

TANSTAAFB said:
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Beer. Heinlein is one of my favorite authors and I always loved that quote. Reminds me of my grandpa telling me that the world doesn't owe me anything so I better be prepared to work for it. Beer, Lunch, the meaning is still the same.
BTW, I graduate grad school in a week gramps! TANSTAAFL!

Ha, I thought you were stationed at an army air force base somewhere in a place called tanst in like kygyristan or something crazy.

runningweird said:
my last name is Weir, when asked by people how to spell it I say "weird without the d"
I run as well, my wife and I just did the Gettysburg marathon last weekend, during training periods we put in 30 to 50 mile weeks. my last 5k time was 23:17, I want to get down to 20 minutes.

so, running weird.

How was Gettysburg? Time? Swmbo did the Nike dc half that weekend. My last was TybeeFest, a grueling 26.2 divided into two days, 5k nite run, next day 10k, than a 13.1, 2.8 beach run, and a one mile sprint. You should try it, fun, great party, but the breaks in between are torture. Next race (registered) isn't until the Utica Boilermaker. Can't freaking wait.

Good luck with the speed work, I am also trying to break the 20 min threshold, argg. 21:06, seconds take months to shave at these paces.

I am a chiropractor by trade = "chiro." The "adio" part is short for "Above Down, Inside Out" referencing the notion that health, vitality and function flow from the way we eat, move, and think. Kind of a garbage in, garbage out or good stuff in, good stuff out sort of thing. The "3" comes from the fact that I am the third one in my family to bear my name.

From Home Alone when Kevin scares the two burglars with the the movie and the guy says, "Okay. I believe you, but my tommy-gun don't!" It also happens to be the name of a great song by Brand New.

I mistook a diode for a capacitor when i signed up for ebay. I collect and make art out of vintage capacitors.

Just a nickname I acquired in college, one of many actually. This was the most melodic of them all, and also the most G-rated! The '66' is the year I was born.

Ha, I thought you were stationed at an army air force base somewhere in a place called tanst in like kygyristan or something crazy.

That's funny...here's to all the men and women who serve in places we can't even pronounce much less find on a map! Cheers!

Name and NOT the year I was born. My irrational paranoia prevents me from revealing too much personal info lest somebody hack into my bank account and steal my $3.37 fortune.

Mine is a play on my initials from friends in high school. The males in my family all use the same initials, JAB. It started back in the day when we worked on a farm and branded the livestock. We had the brand on everything and shortly after joining this forum I drew the picture that I hope shows up below my name (have yet to see it when I post anything). I sent it to my dad (the patriarch of the family) and he says it is the best recreation that he has seen. So when I get back he, my brother and I are going to get it branded (tattooed) on us.

Mine is from the language of a remote tribe in the Andes, the one that invented gargling and then passed it down as part of their oral tradition. It translates into Engish as "One Who Doesn't Want His Real Name On Internet Forums." But it shortens that up a lot.

"Desvio" is Spanish for Detour or Deviation, a nickname (el Desvio) I have carried from motorcycling for decades due to my penchant for deviating from the original path or plan. Something I have carried through to just about everything in life, as it's okay to follow a plan to the letter, but making changes along the way allows you add your own flair and make it your own.

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Got caught up with these great stories, mine is a horrible attempt to appear witty. I refer to my beer as liquid assets since my "cash on hand" was wound up in "positions" and since that was kinda nerdy I just qualified it. I also found a shirt at Goodwil that had an indian patch and the team name "prophets". I thought it was perfect for a poor CEO, whenever (the much over infatuated football team Southern) would ask me who prophets were I smile and say thats what I get after time, material, and operating expense.

I a nurse(RN) and also a male...so the term in the medical field is "murse"

The "E" is for being on the internet.

Together is is a play on words.....E-Mursed or immersed.

Pretty obvious.

My two favorite hobbies.

Neither of which can be perfected, but trying to reach perfection is the goal.

Another boring name - my first name and my college.

I first used it on my Yahoo mail back in 1994 and have used it as a handle online ever since. The cat pictured is MeerCat. She is my main brew cat!

Big market in cat herding. Cant never seem to get these cats to go in the same direction!

liquiditynerd said:
Big market in cat herding. Cant never seem to get these cats to go in the same direction!

Cat juggling has fallen out of favor also

My last name is long and hard to pronounce. One day a couple friends started calling me drives-a-bike (it rhymes with my last name) and it stuck.

Lesee... In college I always had beer or liquor on hand and some of the younger less matured students/friends of mine jokingly called me their Drunkle as in Drunk Uncle. As for the second part, it names me.

And now as of 6 years ago with the birth of my neice I am one.

I've used it pretty much from day one on the internet. I went to Iowa State University, home of the Cyclones, of which I am a fan. I graduated in '94.

Mines the name of my best friend. He's always there for me when I need him.

ForumRunner_20130505_210403.jpg

Mine is just my last name. The best last name. Most people know me as Krovitz. My girlfriend even calls me Krovitz. It's a Polish Jew name that I have been told means either tailor or cow.

Mu name is for lack of anything original that night...I'm in the military and I could retire next year or in 2016. It will probably be 2016.

Problem is, I joined the military almost 20 years ago to figure out what to do with my life and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. BUT, I definitely know what I don't want to do.

So, I'll probably just go to school and learn basket weaving, until I have an epiphany or I drink myself to death.

Nickname I've had since 5th grade (originated from the Nagasaki exhibit @ the Smithsonian), and my lucky number.

When I originally got my hotmail account in the mid 90's, "naga" was taken. I kept adding 7's until I got one that was available.

spk = my initials
guitar = what I like to do when I'm not slaving the day job or making beer.

For me, it's Yooper. It's just a name for people from where I live. Nothing very clever or original but I'm not very clever OR original.
I lived just outside of Marquette for a few years when I was a young lad. Nice peaceful place.

Mines pretty much self explanatory. I had just finished a 1 bbl brew rig when I joined HBT. I was pretty proud of it until I saw some of the rediculously cool systems here on the forum. Now it's just my clumsy old brew rig that gets me by....:rolleyes:

Back