Hello from Denver, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AknotOtoads

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer last night! everything I googled on the internet has taken me to this site so I know I'm at the right place to learn more about my new obsession!
I brewed a Bavarian Hefeweizen and an American Wheat using extract kits from Norther Brewer. Ultimately I want to move into all grain brews. I have a lot to learn first...
My first lesson: don't overfill your carboy...LOL!!

DSC02335.jpg

Welcome from Oxford, NC :)

lookin' good there, and you're fine with the fill level as long as you have a blowoff.

Here's something I've just recently started doing when I primary in my 5g better-bottle (should save you a bit of money on yeast).

http://gluttoncooking.blogspot.com/2013/01/harvesting-yeast-from-blowoff.html

^not my page, but I employ virtually the same method. Except I use one of those orange carboy caps with the 2 nipples, and just stick the blowoff tube onto the larger nipple. And I don't boil water in my flask. I just spray it down with starsan, shake some around the inside, pour it out, and affix the rubber cap with blowoff tube and airlock.

That is awesome! Thank you for the information! That's another thing I have been looking into is how to have my own yeast!

Thank you! I will probably join a brew club soon. I really was interested in doing home brew and now that I started I'm completely obsessed! I have been thinking about my next batch even before my first one is done. The possibilities of home brew is unlimited and I know i could learn a lot from some veterans!

Thank you! I will probably join a brew club soon. I really was interested in doing home brew and now that I started I'm completely obsessed! I have been thinking about my next batch even before my first one is done. The possibilities of home brew is unlimited and I know i could learn a lot from some veterans!

Hey there, brand new member myself. I'm about 20 min. from you in Hickory!

Cool, Hickory is just down the road! I have seen that there is a brew club that meets in downtown Lincolnton. Have you considered joining a brew club?

the Catawba Lager And Ale Sampling Society (CLASS) is in Hickory....i recently took my first trip to the local brew shop where they meet, Advantage Beer & Wine supplies, and the gentleman said ( i can't recall his name) They're trying to start up a brew club. I probably wouldn't travel as far as Lincolnton to join a club, but will definitely start attending the CLASS meetings!

Welcome to the group from nearby Aurora. If you ever want to drive a bit, you can join a club brewday, all are welcome.

Missed the NC bit- never heard of another Denver! Am usually drinking when on this site, causes quite a number of misstatements!:drunk:

Back