Adding fruit to secondary - sanitize can before opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
I have two Hefe's fermenting right now that I would like to add fruit to. I have bought a can of Oregon fruit and was wondering, with all the talk of how dirty cans are these days should I drop the can in Star San before opening?

jongrill said:

Are you putting the can in the secondary or it's contents. Are you transferring in a microbe free environment? Like I said you can sanitize the can if it makes you feel better but it's likely not worth the effort. Focus on sanitizing what touches the wort. If you're using a funnel to get the fruit into the secondary sanitize that.

Go ahead and wash down the can with sanitizer before piercing the metal. Its not much extra work and may be worth the peace of mind :) If I'm feeling really OCD, I also flame the mouth of the can or jar with a lighter before pouring the contents out :D

Bullphysics said:
Go ahead and wash down the can with sanitizer before piercing the metal. Its not much extra work and may be worth the peace of mind :) If I'm feeling really OCD, I also flame the mouth of the can or jar with a lighter before pouring the contents out :D

Sounds good! Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back