Oatmeal choco stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I bottled my oatmeal chocolate stout today. It's been a time coming. Sat in the secondary with the cocoa nibs for about 2 weeks. I came up about 3-4 bottles short so I'm "forcing" myself to drink them. What a chore. This beer is just right. Only 2 months before it's really ready to drink.

I cracked a bottle last night. Not carbed but its definitely going the right way. I'm an open book, so if anybody wants to try their hand at this one, just send me a PM.

Cheers! Love a chocolate stout. If you're looking for a really heavy chocolate flavor, some vanilla will really kick up the flavor. Is it a big beer? You might not need all that aging.

Here's the grain:

8# 12oz maris otter
1# flaked oats
1# flaked barley
1# C60
10 oz chocolate malt
6 oz roasted barley

Mashed at 150 degrees for 75 mins with 16 quarts. I added 6 heaping tbs of cocoa powder to the mash, as well. Fly sparged with 4.4 gallons at 170.

Pre boil OG should be around 1.055. Post boil should be .062

Boil for 60 min. 1 oz Fuggles at 60 and 1 oz EK Goldings at 45.

Pitch with an irish ale yeast. Allow to primary for 4-5 days. While that's setting up, soak 3 oz cocoa nibs in 4 tbs vanilla extract, or more cocoa or VE depending on what you like. Allow to sit for 4-5 days. Transfer to secondary and place nibs+extract in a hop sack and throw it in. Don't forget to sanitize. Allow to marinate for about 10 days. Then bottle or keg.

It's nice and creamy without any lactose. Although I am debating adding some next time I brew it. This is the third batch and it's by far the best. I hope they keep getting better, or consistent. I'll take either.

I think the flaked barley really helps the mouth feel of this beer. The first time I made this, I didn't use any flaked barley. Big difference.

Latest posts

Back