Any Hop Rhizome deals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Looking to plant some hops. Any deals out there? I live in CO but willing to pay shipping if I must.

Thanks!!

I highly recommend checking out greatlakeshops.com. I purchased a Centennial crown and a Cascade and Fuggle 1 year old plants. Awesome business to purchase from. Living in northern Wisconsin, I haven't had a chance to plant my hops yet, so they are in pots and growing like mad.

eBay has some too. I ordered 6 and got 9. 3 days in soil and they already broke through.

+1 on great lakes hops. Owner is happy to answer any questions and sell crowns instead of rhizomes so you will have a better first year harvest.

I am doing some reading and it show I can grow then in a pot the first year. Anyone tried this?

A few threads about growing in planters. Bigger planter the better. One rhizome per pot. Potting mix with organic compost and manure and a bit of sand. Make sure to poke holes to allow drainage

benzy4010 said:
A few threads about growing in planters. Bigger planter the better. One rhizome per pot. Potting mix with organic compost and manure and a bit of sand. Make sure to poke holes to allow drainage

Thanks!!

Some people use totes (18gal or bigger) but they will get frail if left out in the sun over time.

Also look up mel's mix for dirt recipe

Looking to plant some hops. Any deals out there? I live in CO but willing to pay shipping if I must.

Thanks!!

If they have the varieties you're after then I would consider buying from Rising Sun Farms (Colorado Organic Hops):
http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/

They are closer to Grand Junction so probably not worth the drive but shipping was reasonable for me. I like to buy plants from nurseries that are within my geographic region as much as possible because I believe they are more acclimated to my environment from the get-go which takes one aspect of "plant stress" away.

I ordered 2 rhizomes from Rising Sun Farms this year - they sent me 4 (nice bonus!). I planted them about 1.5 months ago. The longest bines are already 2 feet or longer, and I have at least 5+ bines from each of the varieties. VERY healthy stock in my opinion. I expect to see cones this year from these, and look forward to a quick take-off next year (plus a decent yield for second year plants).

In comparison, I ordered 2 rhizomes from Fresh Hops this year - they sent me 2 (expected). I planted them about 2 months ago. The longest bines are about 4 inches, and I only have 2 bines from each variety. I believe these will root in and really take off in coming years, but the Rising Sun Farms give me MUCH more hope.

How large are they?

What is the soil mix everyone is taking about?

Soil mix is just compost, peat moss and vermiculate. Compost is for nutrients, vermiculite holds water and peat moss helps it drain.

Ah! I got the organic miracle grow. Hmm. Maybe I should take it back.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure the mg will work. Adding vermiculite would help if using a planter as they tend to dry out faster. Best place I have found to buy vermiculite is at Menards in the housing insulation section. It is much cheaper per cubic foot than the garden section.

Latest posts

Back