Dryhopping effectiveness question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bottled my SN Torpedo clone today and was wondering if its normal for it not to have too much hop aroma at this point?

There was a generous amount of hops I used for dryhopping that I put in muslin bags and dryhopped at 68 degrees for 4 days followed a day of cold crashing.

Ideally I would have liked to have 5 days to dryhop but needed to bottle today.

Just wondering if the hop aroma will be more pronounced when it carbs up or is this pretty much it?

Hmmm, maybe not as generous as I thought. It was only 2-1/3 oz. seemed like a lot to me, especially when trying to get the bags out of the carboy.

Anyway, when I tasted it i really didn't get a big hop aroma. Do you think it will be more pronounced when it carbs up?

I read that dry hopping when too much yeast in suspension will lower its effectiveness. Apparently, the hop oils attach to the yeast and drop into the turb.

I have dry hopped beers with a hop sack and thought that was the culprit. So this time around I did without it and still didn't smell a difference. I bottled a pale ale dry hopped with 2oz. Tasted good but lacked aroma.

I don't get it. Feels like a waste of hops.

Latest posts

Back