High attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomXsaloon

Reaction score
I brewed a Dead Guy clone recently, using Pacman Yeast w/ a starter... fermented, as per pacman, at 60 degrees.

My OG was 1.060; my FG was 1.008....Pacman has an attenuation range of 77%; I did the math and looks like I got 87% attenuation?? How did this happen?

All grain, 1 hr mash @ 152

If your gravity measurements were accurate (temp adjusted, no top off water, hydrometer is calibrated, etc.), then you're right, 87% attenuation. Possible causes could be fermentation temps used, really large yeast starter, oxygen levels, wort fermentability, good mojo, wild yeast contamination, etc.

I get pretty high attenuations from pacman and 1272. You're either going to have to mash higher for a less fermentable wort or keep a close eye on things and cold crash when you reach the desired FG. Then again, I keg, so you might want to be careful with option 2 if you bottle so that you have enough yeast to carbonate and you don't end up with bottle bombs.

If your gravity measurements were accurate (temp adjusted, no top off water, hydrometer is calibrated, etc.), then you're right, 87% attenuation. Possible causes could be fermentation temps used, really large yeast starter, oxygen levels, wort fermentability, good mojo, wild yeast contamination, etc.

The beer tastes really good-maybe a tad dry-, so I'm thinking no wild yeasties...maybe good mojo...higher abv, yes, but Dead Guy isn't a dry beer.

The beer tastes really good-maybe a tad dry-, so I'm thinking no wild yeasties...maybe good mojo...higher abv, yes, but Dead Guy isn't a dry beer.
Glad to hear the beers tastes really good :D

Without knowing your recipe and process, the most likely causes, based on what you've stated, would be wort fermentability which is affected by your mash temp and the fermentation related variables. The other poster, BBL_Brewer, also experienced high attenuation from the pacman yeast, so you may have to adjust your process to fit the yeast, or switch to a yeast that works better for your desired outcome. I would probably try what BBL_Brewer recommends and mash a little higher so the wort isn't as fermentable.

I brewed a Dead Guy clone recently, using Pacman Yeast w/ a starter... fermented, as per pacman, at 60 degrees.

My OG was 1.060; my FG was 1.008....Pacman has an attenuation range of 77%; I did the math and looks like I got 87% attenuation?? How did this happen?

All grain, 1 hr mash @ 152

--------

Ok, this is weird ....

I just posted the very same question but for a Double Dead Guy. Mine too was 87% with Pacman and a mash of 152. OF 1.084 / FG 1.010.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/over-attenuating-yeast-how-possible-411430/

To the above posters, from John @ Rogue, Pacman is mashed @ 152, fermented @ 65F, with Pacman.

Back