Using yeast again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
First two batches of beer i used the dried yeast that came with the kits and just added when at ambient and worked out well. I decided to do three batches for my 2nd attemp and without knowing the difference i orderd liquid yeast in a smack pack and realised half hour before pitching it needed to sit for 3 hours at ambient but used it anyway and allowed ferment longer. I used the correct procedure for the 2nd two batches. I have kegged two and i am left with a stout so ive just realised the yeast can be used again! Is there a way of measuring how much yeast i need to add for a fesh 23 litre bucket or will i use the whole lot? Do i need to reactivate the yeast when using?

Are you saying that you have a batch of stout still sitting on its yeast cake, and you want to harvest the yeast to re-use in another batch? Google "harvesting yeast" and learn how. It's quite easy, especially if you're just going to use it right away.

You don't re-activate anything. The yeast is ready to go and will respond quickly if re-pitched into new wort. Sanitary handling of the yeast is key.

Ideally, you would use the yeast from a stout in another dark beer, as it sometimes picks up color from a beer like that. But it probably won't matter much unless you're going to brew a very pale beer.

Are you saying that you have a batch of stout still sitting on its yeast cake, and you want to harvest the yeast to re-use in another batch? Google "harvesting yeast" and learn how. It's quite easy, especially if you're just going to use it right away.

You don't re-activate anything. The yeast is ready to go and will respond quickly if re-pitched into new wort. Sanitary handling of the yeast is key.

Ideally, you would use the yeast from a stout in another dark beer, as it sometimes picks up color from a beer like that. But it probably won't matter much unless you're going to brew a very pale beer.
Yes i actually have kegged it today and i kept the yeast in a sterilised bottle which i was going to keep in the fridge for a few days until i use it again. Im not sure if i spoke to you about the stout in other feeds but it tastes quite sour almost a vinegar taste. Im thinking i over fermented as i left it ferment 18 days as i was busy working, reading some stout recipes they only ferment for 1 week! Im going to try again and maybe i could add some of the sour for flavour and ferment it less. I will check out yeast harvesting aswel thanks!

Attachments

• 20210105_172205.jpg
    20210105_172205.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Just to clarify some terminology; you don't ferment more or less. Actual fermentation - yeast converting sugar to alcohol and CO2 - is a process with a natural end point.

I think you mean "keep in the fermenter" for more or less time. 18 days is longer than necessary, but if conditions are sanitary and you do not repeatedly open the fermenter, it should not be a problem either.

Stout is a beer that benefits greatly from conditioning. It can be a bit harsh early on, more so than pale beers, due to the roasted malts. They will soften with time. Now, if the sour taste is an infection, you will find that out soon enough, as it will only get worse with time.

Just to clarify some terminology; you don't ferment more or less. Actual fermentation - yeast converting sugar to alcohol and CO2 - is a process with a natural end point.

I think you mean "keep in the fermenter" for more or less time. 18 days is longer than necessary, but if conditions are sanitary and you do not repeatedly open the fermenter, it should not be a problem either.

Stout is a beer that benefits greatly from conditioning. It can be a bit harsh early on, more so than pale beers, due to the roasted malts. They will soften with time. Now, if the sour taste is an infection, you will find that out soon enough, as it will only get worse with time.
Well i guess i could leave it in the keg for a week and if it gets worse maybe get rid of it rather then use any of it to flavour a new batch thinking that if i boil it with the worth i might kill harmful bacteria. Apoligies but i did not place it in a fermenter i kept it in a warm part of a room over xmas that was usually around 56 to 62 f as i did not have the space or an extra thermostat. Would you have a reccomended fermentation time for irish stout.. im going to get an extra inkbird and try it again in a fermenter.

Latest posts

Back