Using Wine Saver Vacuum Pump for Harvest Yeast Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharmon203

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone thought about using a wine saver pump to vacuum seal yeast. I want to start over producing yeast with my stir-plate and im trying to figure out a good method to store it trying to vaccum seal it. Then I though about the little pump we use to preserve our wine.

https://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Bla...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
If you used 12 oz glass bottles and fill them up most of the way with even something like distilled water, it would work pretty well right?

Lack of oxygen and under vacuum are different but related things. I'm new to preserving yeast so I don't know if vacuum is good/bad/ indifferent.

I've thought about doing something simaler but I'm but wonder about how much vacuum is ok.

Any vacuum you might create will only last briefly. There is a reason why live yeast must not be stored in closed containers to avoid pressure buildup, yeast will let off CO2 and this would quickly destroy any vacuum you might have created and then actually start building up pressure. There's a good chance the yeast might start foaming right away and foul up your vacuum pump.
Vacuum per se won't kill yeast. It's not like they'll get an embolism or anything. Keeping them under constant vacuum, which would require leaving the pump always on, would however cause evaporation and the yeast would eventually dry out, which is obviously bad.

Back