Using Mango wood & leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abhishek Dewan

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has tried using mango wood for ageing? Many fruit trees are used for ageing liquor but I don't find use of Mango anywhere perhaps because it doesn't grow in Europe.
Same goes for using young mango leaves, which are red in colour. They do smell very nice. Has anyone tried them to brew a mango beer, instead of just fruit pulp? They are traditionally used in India (Ayurveda) to make medicines in various forms.

When aging in wood the density of the wood matters this is why whiskey uses hard woods to age in as it will not transfer the liquid in and out of the wood as drastically with the temp fluctuating. I am not familiar with mango wood or what exactly your thinking of doing but the softer the wood and the more the temps fluctuate will control how much the wood contributes to your end product. For example look at a 12 year scotch and you will see they tend to be a honey color but look at a much younger bourbon and now your into a more caramel color that's because of the temp differences.

When aging in wood the density of the wood matters this is why whiskey uses hard woods to age in as it will not transfer the liquid in and out of the wood as drastically with the temp fluctuating. I am not familiar with mango wood or what exactly your thinking of doing but the softer the wood and the more the temps fluctuate will control how much the wood contributes to your end product. For example look at a 12 year scotch and you will see they tend to be a honey color but look at a much younger bourbon and now your into a more caramel color that's because of the temp differences.
Hello, thanks for response. It is hard wood just like Oak. It is also being used to make furniture. Mango grows extremely quickly compared to teak or oak, and it makes it easy to obtain. I guess I'll make a couple of small batches with grain Vodka & see.

I would do some research before using any part of the mango other than the fruit pulp. They are relatives of poison ivy and other parts of the plant may contain the same toxin.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/120726.html
Thanks for the response. A valid point but gum from the trunks is eaten in India. The twigs and leaves, used to clean the teeth, are said to be beneficial to the gums, while the bark is said to be useful for toothaches. The astringent stomachic bark is also used for internal haemorrhages, bronchitis , and catarrh. The resin is used for cracked feet, ringworm, and other fungi, syphilis, and to induce sweating. The sap from unripe fruits can be of concern but that's not going to be used anyways. I guess I'll make a small batch and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back