Using malted grains with coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm about to make a chocolate stout, and have half a pound of carafa II sitting on my desk....... It suddenly dawned on me that perhaps dark roast malt or roast barley, chocolate malt, etc might be used in small amounts mixed with ground coffee for a slightly different flavor............. crazy? Perhaps. I'm wondering if anybody has tried it?

H.W.

You inspired me to try it this morning. Not bad. Added a shot glass worth of milled black malt to the Mr Coffee. Made 1/2 pot. Malty aroma, a fair bit more bitter. I'd have to say that the best description I can give is if you were eating malt while brewing it. Which, of course, isn't necessarily a negative review.

Now you've got me thinking...A very clean coffee maker and a small amount of ONLY a specific grain might be a good way to learn the taste of various grains. Sure enough, I google for that and I get this.

You inspired me to try it this morning. Not bad. Added a shot glass worth of milled black malt to the Mr Coffee. Made 1/2 pot. Malty aroma, a fair bit more bitter. I'd have to say that the best description I can give is if you were eating malt while brewing it. Which, of course, isn't necessarily a negative review.

Now you've got me thinking...A very clean coffee maker and a small amount of ONLY a specific grain might be a good way to learn the taste of various grains. Sure enough, I google for that and I get this.

I'm currently sipping a cup of decaf........ I quit caffeine after 50 years of drinking coffee a few years back......with some crystal 150 in it. I ran a pot of Costco Decaf in my Bunn, then put about 4T of ground CR 150 in the basket, set it on top of the cup and started "sparging". The result is not bad at all. I couldn't use the Carafa, or chocolate malt, and didn't want to use just roast barley...... I have a stout coming up Saturday, and I haven't designed it yet, and have minimal quantities of the components I'm going to use.

This definitely has possibilities. I don't mind the addition of the grain flavor at all. The crystal didn't really add "sweetness" to any significant degree though it toned the coffee a bit and added a touch of richness as well as a bit of a roasty grain flavor.

I'll definitely be trying this again with various grains....

H.W.

Sounds like you figured out what some low end coffee companies (and breweries for that matter) have, put adjuncts into the product.

Back