Using lost wort from blow-off catch vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can I use blow off wort to top off fermenter volume?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe (List Stipulations)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

user 262129

Learn Something New With Every Brew You Brew
Reaction score
A week ago I brewed my second all grain Imperial IPA and tried WLP090 for my first time, seeing as the OG was 1.127 and I wanted a high attenuating yeast. The problem is, I only made about 5.25 gallons of wort and lost a half gallon of it to the blow off catch vessel. It just finished fermenting and I want to know your thoughts about using the wort that blew off to bring the volume back up to the 5.25 gallon mark. I used water diluted star-san solution for the catch vessel sanitizer.

Don't do it. Even if the Starsan is "safe" to drink I would worry about infection. Also, the beer in the blow off bucket is now oxidized and will not taste good even if it is not infected.

No.
Just...
No.

For future reference, you need to adjust your volume to account (unless you are space-constrained, like primary fermenting in a corny keg).

For example, I make my batches for a planned volume of about 7 gallons post-boil. I usually lose a gallon of trub, once I let it settle post-chilling, so I can send 6 gallons of clear, trub-free wort to the fermenter.
Factoring in losses in the fermenter from blowoff, gravity samples, yeast sediment, and tasting samples, I get enough wort to fill a corny keg, which usually holds about 5.25 gallons.
So I plan all my batches as 7 gallon batches to get 5+ in the serving vessel.

Thanks brewers. Glad I asked first. Cavpilot, thanks for the advice.

Thanks brewers. Glad I asked first. Cavpilot, thanks for the advice.
No problem. Now bear in mind, my example is an extreme one.
Most brewers don't try to send clear wort to the fermenter. There is debate on the pros and cons of that, so I wouldn't even bother at this stage of your brewing "career" (not many brewers are willing to throw away a full gallon of a batch for such a goal).
My point is just plan on losing some wort along the way and plan accordingly. How much should you plan on? That's going to depend on your system and process, and only a few more trial batches will tell you how much for consistent results.

Cheers and happy brewing!

Honestly, if you brewed 5.25 gallons, and are worried about half a gallon....you picked up the wrong past time........

Back