Using Grits and Minute Rice for Flaked versions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I know this is an old question, but I am asking again anyway.

Tomorrow, I am making an American Pilsner Lager. I am planning on using even parts of

5 lbs - 6 row
5 lbs - 2 row
1.5 lbs - corn grits
1.5 lbs - white rice.

.75 oz Norther Brewer @ 60 min
.4 oz Saaz @ 0 min

Weihenstephan strain yeast - harvest of mixed Fermentis 34/70 & Wyeast 2124 Bohemian

I have grits, both uncooked and 5 minute. I also have rice both regular and minute. I have done cereal mashes and they are a PITA. I would rather just use the pre-gelatinized versions.

My understanding is that the quick versions can be used interchangeably with flaked versions in a 1:1 ratio. Is that what everyone else had experienced?

I have also read that these can just be thrown into the mash as is without the need for a cereal mash. It this also the case?

Thanks
Tim

I have only used flaked versions but you should be able to sub the "quick" versions of those products on a 1:1 ratio by weight and simply mix them into the rest of the grain bill.

I know this is not what you want to hear but that style really benefits from a decoction or step mash. I use the cereal mash as a step and strike at 143* and add the cereal mash after a 45-60 min rest and bring it to 158*

Back