Using fermentation CO2 to purge kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using tube from top of fermentor to feed CO2 into empty kegs for purpose of pre fill purging. Output tube from keg going into usual container of starsan mix, mainly to confirm rate of bubble and success of keg post seals.

Perhaps not as complete a purge as the classic full starsan displacement purge, but is less trouble and saves Co2, at a time when ability to exchange tanks is limited. I realize it may not achieve 100% purge, but with only a couple of inches of headspace in top of kegs after fill, I'm not too worried about that. Also I spund for carbonation, so O2 is limited there.

I'm wondering what the volume of CO2 coming off fermentor is. I know I saw this data somewhere, but can not find. Based of 10 gallon batch going from 1.060 to 1.010, I want to figure how many 5 gallon C kegs I can reasonably purge.

Right now I'm letting each of two kegs run off fermentor for 2 or 3 days each off active fermentation and guessing they are fairly well purged after that. I guess that is all I need for kegging current batch, but wondering if I could purge another keg or two. Besides, I'm kinda board.

http://www.********************/bre...rging-transferring-stabilizing-finished-beer/

Update: with the alleged CO2 shortage & rise in cost, thought I'd remind everyone of this simple CO2 saving option. Here is what it looks like on my rig, the gas coming off fermentor goes into keg, and exhausted gas goes into starsan, just like if the keg was not there. this way one can still monitor"airlock activity:.
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

Back