Using 'burnt honey' in place of candi sugar for belgian dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
In mead making there's a style that consists of burning, or caramelizing, the honey before fermentation. This is called a bochet and, depending on the amount of time you caramelize the honey, can provide some really nice marshmallow/toffee flavors.

I was thinking about brewing a Belgian Dubbel but replacing the 1lbs of dark candi sugar with 1 lbs of burnt honey (probably caramelized for about an hour until it's extremely dark).

Has anyone tried something like this before? I'm wondering how much of the caramelized honey flavor carries over into the final brew.

This thread is very informative on cooking your own candi sugar https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=114837

I don't know if honey will lend any additional desirable contributions than plain ole sugar, a lot of flavors get lost when heated. The thread does mention that natural sugars are more prone to burning than refined sugar.

Latest posts

Back