Using Azacca and Galaxy Hops in a 2 Gal Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am working on a 2 gallon Pale Ale recipe for today's brew day and I want to use Azacca and Galaxy hops in this recipe. I’ll be using Pale LME and Caramel 40 malt for my wort. Trying to figure out the best hop portion to get a juicy, tropical vibe with my brew. Would also like to know which hop would be best at the dry hopping stage for maximum tropical flavor.

Thanks as always for your great suggestions and Cheers!:cask:

Greetings!

I am working on a 2 gallon Pale Ale recipe for today's brew day and I want to use Azacca and Galaxy hops in this recipe. I’ll be using Pale LME and Caramel 40 malt for my wort. Trying to figure out the best hop portion to get a juicy, tropical vibe with my brew. Would also like to know which hop would be best at the dry hopping stage for maximum tropical flavor.

If you're doing an all late additions brew/neipa style I would hit it with both late/end of boil + dry hop. I've dry hopped with both before, both great.

Azacca is not as potent as Galaxy, so a good ration would be 2:1 Azacca to Galaxy. Galaxy is very assertive and can easily overwhelm any hop it would be paired with. The combo however will probably be tropical, with hints of citrus, dankness and maybe a bit of earthy, piney notes.

Greetings!

Azacca is not as potent as Galaxy, so a good ration would be 2:1 Azacca to Galaxy. Galaxy is very assertive and can easily overwhelm any hop it would be paired with. The combo however will probably be tropical, with hints of citrus, dankness and maybe a bit of earthy, piney notes.
If you're doing an all late additions brew/neipa style I would hit it with both late/end of boil + dry hop. I've dry hopped with both before, both great.

Thanks for your comments!

So, I planned to do a 20 min wort boil adding 0.50 oz Azacca at beginning of boil, then 0.50 oz of Azacca at 2 minutes before end of boil. Then add 0.5 of Galaxy at flameout. Then, I was thinking about dry hopping at 7 days into fermentation with either Cascade or Centennial hops. Any thoughts on that?

I love love love Galaxy and often use it in my neipas! I usually do a whirpool hop stand at 180 deg and let it drop to 150 deg. I use galaxy, mosaic, and citra at 1 oz each. Then dry hop in the fermenter at day 2 for 7 days at 1 oz galaxy and on another 1 oz on day 7 to day 14. Galaxy gives that tropical grapfruit addition and is an outstanding hop for neipas!

Cheers,
-Paisan

Back