US Goldings Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I have 6-7 OZ of US goldings in my freezer. I would like to make something that is not called a stout. I have been trying to use the Google machine but I haven’t found what I’ve been looking for. I’m here to get suggestions on what I should make. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I have 6-7 OZ of US goldings in my freezer. I would like to make something that is not called a stout. I have been trying to use the Google machine but I haven’t found what I’ve been looking for. I’m here to get suggestions on what I should make. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Those would make a great bitter. A recipe I like for a Best Bitter is
94% English Pale Malt (Maris Otter, Golden Promise, etc)
5% Caramel 60
1% Pale Chocolate
bitter to 30-40 IBU with Goldings FWH and then use a healthy dose of late addition Goldings (1-2oz per 5 gallons)
WLP002, S-04, or M36 yeast
1045-1048 OG

Thanks guys.

This is exactly the advice I was looking for that Google wasn't giving me. Never had or made an ESB. So looks like I've got something good to start with.

Yup, you can use them for just about anything, certainly any English, Scottish, or Irish style. It definitely does not need to be a stout, DocDriza. Bitters, browns, reds, ESB, porters, IPA, and stouts will all work just fine. Earlier American beers, even lagers, made use of Goldings hops. Try them in a CAP or a California Common. To my taste they are a bit courser than their British cousins so if I were using both I'd use the domestics for earlier additions.

Back