US-05 smell and taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
I don't like the smell of US-05 but I like the taste. Is there an alternative with the same taste and a different smell?

What smell are you getting from it? Has the aroma persisted over different beers with different ingredients? I find it very neutral on aroma, but i use it on hoppy beers. A good alternate is WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. I like it's aroma and flavor way better than the chico strains (not to mention I can darn near hear it hit the bottom of the fermenter when it flocs), but the fermentation temp window is much smaller than chico.

US-05 is said to give off a little peach aroma if it's fermented too warm. Are you controlling your temps? 64 to 65 F should give a very neutral fermentation.

What smell are you getting from it? Has the aroma persisted over different beers with different ingredients? I find it very neutral on aroma, but i use it on hoppy beers. A good alternate is WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. I like it's aroma and flavor way better than the chico strains (not to mention I can darn near hear it hit the bottom of the fermenter when it flocs), but the fermentation temp window is much smaller than chico.
Yeah, same with different recipes. I'll try the WLP090 you mentioned.

US-05 is said to give off a little peach aroma if it's fermented too warm. Are you controlling your temps? 64 to 65 F should give a very neutral fermentation.
The room is 70 degrees. Too warm?

WLP001 is the replacement for US-05. I would compare WLP001 https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp001-california-ale-yeast with WLP090 https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp090-san-diego-super-yeast.

While I haven't used WLP090, I'm not sure for the recipes I brew that I would want "Due to high attenuation, this strain produces very dry beers with increased perceived bitterness."

I would try WLP001 and see if you get the same results. Personally, I have not experienced any bad aroma with US-05 or WLP-001.

I don't like the smell of US-05 but I like the taste. Is there an alternative with the same taste and a different smell?

Smell and taste are so interlocked that you can't have one without the other.

The room is 70 degrees. Too warm?

Yes, without active control your yeast will raise the beer temp quite a bit which then leads to off flavors. Find some way to keep the beer temp between 65 and 70F be that refrigeration, swamp cooler, or whatever you can come up with. Your beer will improve greatly.

Smell and taste are so interlocked that you can't have one without the other.

Yes, without active control your yeast will raise the beer temp quite a bit which then leads to off flavors. Find some way to keep the beer temp between 65 and 70F be that refrigeration, swamp cooler, or whatever you can come up with. Your beer will improve greatly.
Thanks, I'll ferment in the basement instead of the kitchen next time.

Remember, when we say “70*F is too warm”: we’re saying the room’s ambient temp is too warm. Your wort most likely got significantly warmer than 70*F during ferment. I’ll be interested to see your results.

I’ve also heard the -05 peach comes from cooler temp. I prefer either Nottingham or even 34/70 at 62*F (wort temp) instead of -05. They seem to get out of the way and let the malt and hops shine thru.

Thanks, I'll ferment in the basement instead of the kitchen next time.

If you have a tub large enough to fit the fermenter in, fill it partway with cool water and set the fermenter in that as it will help keep the temperature more even. if necessary you can drop in some ice to keep it cooler. It only needs that for the first few days as the yeast gorge themselves on the sugars. By day 3 or 4 you can let it warm up.

US-05 is said to give off a little peach aroma if it's fermented too warm.

I’ve also heard the -05 peach comes from cooler temp.

The opening paragraphs of chapter 5 in "The New IPA" make reference to a study that looked into individuals perceptions of flavors. Some people can pick up flavors in concentrations that are 20 times less than other people. I can add the reference to the article if anyone is interested.

Peach at one end and something else at the other end. I get almost nothing yeasty in either smell or flavor when keeping the temperature of the wort between 64 and 66 degrees. WLP001, WY1056 and US-05 are all said the be very close to the same thing.

I have used a couple of yeasts that smell terrible to me in a starter, but when the beer is finished fermenting I could barely detect any yeast smell.

If you have a tub large enough to fit the fermenter in, fill it partway with cool water and set the fermenter in that as it will help keep the temperature more even. if necessary you can drop in some ice to keep it cooler. It only needs that for the first few days as the yeast gorge themselves on the sugars. By day 3 or 4 you can let it warm up.

^^^^ THIS.... fermentation control does not mean you have freezers and temperature controllers. It means you’re not fermenting a beer in Arkansas in August in the tool shed

Back