Update on pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonpt

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing (well i think I am ) a Cooper's 86 day pilsner ... Brewing at 12 degrees c ..
Now without opening the lid I can't see much of a krasuen on the top .
But can see about half an inch of sediment on the bottom .
Now I know lager are usually called bottom fermenting beers so would I assume all is going well ...can't say I've seen the airlock bubble at all tbh :( but it's been 10 days since pitching ..
Let me know if you want me to upload photos :) can always pop the lid and take a pic or show the outside of the fermenting bucket :)
Thanks muchly for any advice .just don't wanna waste my time if it sounds like it's all gone wrong to you guys :)
Cheers

You're fermenting in a bucket so the airlock activity could be due to a leaky lid. I've only done 1 lager but I thought there was a pretty good krausen on top.

I don't think pictures of the outside of the bucket would be of any help...

Do you have the ability to open the bucket and grab a gravity sample? As much as I would hate to open the bucket, that's really the only way to know if you're fermenting.

Can you smell anything coming out of the airlock?

From what I just quickly read, this kit is a very slow fermenter. I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I've ready of people fermenting this at 12 - 15*C.

It was brewing at 13 but weather has dropped and now about 10 after 8 days the gravity hasnt moved and still smells eggy but not as eggy as before

Would you suggest a pitch of better lager yeast or just leave another week and see what's happing .. just took a gravity ready and still 1.040 same as og

Pic ift gravity reading
1548956926917.jpeg

As you can see only a slight head on it but beer is reasonably clear In the testing jar

What yeast did you use?
Just the one supplied with the kit .
Would of got a lager yeast from brewing store if I knew they was brewed at low temps ..I didn't know until I put the lid on ... Running before I could walk lol

Just the one supplied with the kit .
Would of got a lager yeast from brewing store if I knew they was brewed at low temps ..I didn't know until I put the lid on ... Running before I could walk lol
A packet with dry yeast I suppose? How big (small) was that yeast packet? Any name or information on it?

For kicks, those canned "Lager" kits are often supplied with a generic ale yeast, and a meager amount at that (i.e. 5 grams, rather than 11.5 grams). Another problem is that the yeast that's stored under the lid can be old and/or was stored warm/hot for months.

Ale yeasts needs to be fermented at 18-20°C, not 12°C, that's Lager yeast territory.

10 days though since pitching, something's not right.

I would get another lager yeast and pitch. 10 days is too long and you risk something else taking hold in it. I'd go to the LHBS and get some new yeast.

Tip on brewing lagers:
Always keep a packet of dry 34/70 in the fridge.
If you ever run into this problem, or any stuck ferment, do not hesitate to pitch the packet in dry. That way you don't have the lag time of having to make a trip to the LHBS.
It may not be the strain you started with, but that strain is clearly failing.
34/70 is a super versatile and robust yeast that should resume the fermentation very quickly.

No krausen ring evident on the bucket. Almost appears like no yeast was used at all.

I agree after this much time to repitch with new yeast. 34/70 is a good choice for a Pilsner.

If I can't get that's would you advise this one as I definitely can get this one

I can't speak to S-23, as I have never used it, but I'm surprised you can't get 34/70, since it is made by the same people.
But S-23 is better than nothing, and this lag time may be killing the beer (if it's not toast already), so anything now is better than ideal later. Get something and get it in there. Hours count!

Agreed, better something than nothing, and soon!

W34/70 vs. S-23:
http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/ye...-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/

I still wonder what yeast was supplied with the can of extract.
For next time, keep in mind that can of extract itself is not worth $25 or whatever the equivalent is in the UK. There are much better alternatives for far less money.
Well the kit itself was £13 and the 1 kg of light spraymalt was £6 so £19 in all .. probably around the $22 mark you said but that's including fermentables not just the extract

Well the kit itself was £13 and the 1 kg of light spraymalt was £6 so £19 in all .. probably around the $22 mark you said but that's including fermentables not just the extract
It lists for $25 (~£18) on Amazon, I'm sure they can be had for less, or a lot less, like you did.
That Amazon offer does NOT include anything else except the small package of yeast under the lid. So your price was quite a bit better.

FWIW, the extract from the can is also a fermentable, similar to spray malt, just in syrup form. Glad you used that, not sugar.
Actually spray malt is the next step after condensing wort by vacuum evaporation into syrup.

Pitched that yeast yet? Do you have a local brew ingredients supplier?

It lists for $25 (~£18) on Amazon, I'm sure they can be had for less, or a lot less, like you did.
That Amazon offer does NOT include anything else except the small package of yeast under the lid. So your price was quite a bit better.

FWIW, the extract from the can is also a fermentable, similar to spray malt, just in syrup form. Glad you used that, not sugar.
Actually spray malt is the next step after condensing wort by vacuum evaporation into syrup.

Yes it was was pitched last night and I've raised the temp of the brew aswell I'll check in a moment if it's done anything over night ... Fingers crossed lol

And yes I have one just down the road from me about 5 mins drive https://www.creativewinemaking.co.uk
And another about 15-20 mins drive

Latest posts

Back