undercarbonated ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I was on vacation outside the country and got to sneak in a couple of yeast packages, and can't wait to put them to work.
but here's an interesting thing I found out. I brewed a batch before I went for vacation, a week after bottling I put two bottles in the fridge and kept the rest of the batch in the kitchen. when I came back after 45 days I opened a bottle from the fridge and it was way overcarbonated, when I poured it into a titled glass I got 90% percent foam!
I chilled a bottle that was sitting in the cupboard and it was slightly undercarbonated. so I guess the key here is the amount of time in the fridge. I guess it has something to do with the solubility of CO2 in the beer.
so I just wanted to share this with you guys.

it has something to do with the solubility of CO2 in the beer.

Have you considered keeping that yeast alive refrigerated in a sealed jar, using it sparingly (where you build up the amount before you pitch via Starter)? As well as to get replacement from friends abroad...homemade plain oatmeal cookies with a packet of yeast sprinkled on top of each cookie after they have been baked and cooled. Brew on, laws are only another form of Tyranny! The only laws needed are driving laws. The rest would take care of themselves.

so I was on vacation outside the country and got to sneak in a couple of yeast packages, and can't wait to put them to work.
but here's an interesting thing I found out. I brewed a batch before I went for vacation, a week after bottling I put two bottles in the fridge and kept the rest of the batch in the kitchen. when I came back after 45 days I opened a bottle from the fridge and it was way overcarbonated, when I poured it into a titled glass I got 90% percent foam!
I chilled a bottle that was sitting in the cupboard and it was slightly undercarbonated. so I guess the key here is the amount of time in the fridge. I guess it has something to do with the solubility of CO2 in the beer.
so I just wanted to share this with you guys.

There is a massive difference in the solubility of CO2 versus temperature.

solubility-co2-water.png

Consider also that the entry of CO2 into solution is not instantaneous, and there will be exactly the sort of swing that you note. Your room storage was probably somewhere around 1.25g/L as a peak/steady state, refrigerator storage close to 3g. Your undercarbonated beer likely had almost identical amounts of CO2, but not yet in solution. Given sufficient time, the beer will absorb the CO2.

One thing to try is to put bottles in the refrigerator once they have likely finished the bottle fermentation, to speed up absorption of CO2. Once the gas is in solution, the pressure will help some of the gas it stay in solution. So you don't need to keep all of your stock in the refrigerator all of the time.

One trick I do that has aided carbonation and has also helped hurry along conditioning in high ABV Belgian beers is to flip the bottles. Turn them upside down in whatever storage container you are using for bottles and then flip them back the next day. Repeat this 2 or 3 times and then let them sit upright for a few more days and move to chilled storage to further settle the yeast and clear.

After a week I give all of mine a quick twist to stir up the bottom and
mix things a little.

All the Best,
D. White

Back