Unbreakable sightglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Not by any means a new design but it's just so easy to make and use.
Silicone tubing withstands the heat, is flexible and wont break, easy to clean as well.
Analog thermometer both for looks and double checking my PID control.
Made from 1/2" stainless fittings.

IMG_20170708_001911.jpg

It's simple and works as a charm.

But, what I'd say against that particular setup is unless the hose is plantinum cured, it will stain over time, and you'd have to take it apart to clean by unscrewing the nipples, or unscrewing the hose clamps. One can add some Quick Disconnects like the one you have on your kettle valve to top and bottom to be able to clean that hose without hassle.

The silicone tubing is rated to 320 Fahrenheit/160 Celsius and is marked medical grade, same as I've used on my pump setup, and no issues whatsoever but honestly don't know if it's plantinum cured or what that even is :D

The silicone tubing is rated to 320 Fahrenheit/160 Celsius and is marked medical grade, same as I've used on my pump setup, and no issues whatsoever but honestly don't know if it's plantinum cured or what that even is :D

Platinum cured doesn't stain (as much). "Normal" silicone hoses (concerning temp and "medical grade"), like the one you have (unless it in fact is silicone cured) do stain over time.

Platinum cured doesn't stain (as much). "Normal" silicone hoses (concerning temp and "medical grade"), like the one you have (unless it in fact is silicone cured) do stain over time.

Good to know, it's the only silicone hose my lhbs here in Iceland carries so that's what I'm using. Might ask the next time I'm there if they know if it's cured or not. Thanks!

Good to know, it's the only silicone hose my lhbs here in Iceland carries so that's what I'm using. Might ask the next time I'm there if they know if it's cured or not. Thanks!

I'd order some QDs of the type you havefrom ebay or ali. But that's me, I like being able to take apart things easily. You'll get some malt stuck in there too, and other residue, so being able to do a quick clean isn't bad.

I'd order some QDs of the type you havefrom ebay or ali. But that's me, I like being able to take apart things easily. You'll get some malt stuck in there too, and other residue, so being able to do a quick clean isn't bad.

We have those QDs at lhbs, just kept cost down by using the barb instead. If it becomes a hassle to clean(here in Iceland we have endless 80-90° C water from the taps) with hot water stream through the top opening and the occasional PBW or chemipro Oxi cleaning I will add QDs to make cleaning easier, also regarding the staining, no problem to replace the hose every 6 or 12 months if staining occurs.

The lhbs is very decent considering there are only 320,000 that live in Iceland and I don't know, maybe somewhere from 1-2000 brewing beer on the regular.
Some things that we don't have but we cope, ordering online really comes down to shipping costs, sometimes the items double or triple in price just because of ridic shipping rates.

Latest posts

Back