Fermentation Optimization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for ways to optimize some of my brewing processes and I'm not sure if I need to look at regulating brewing temperatures. My basement temperature is a pretty consistent 59-62 degrees, however, we recently purchased our house and haven't spent a summer in it, so I'm not sure how the outside heat will affect the temps.

I know this is on the low end for many ale yeasts. I have brewed with Wyeast 1056 and and WLP001 and had decent fermentations beer. My understanding is that by brewing on the low side I will have slower cleaner fermentations.

I have also brewed a Kolsch and it turned out excellent. Which makes sense as 59 is a good temp for kolsch yeast.

I don't really plan on brewing anything where I want esters and funky flavors, I will probably stick to pale ales, kolsch, scotch ale, porters, and stouts.

I also have a root cellar that I may try to lager in over the winter (it was at 38 degrees when we moved in in March).

Should I be looking into putting together a fermentation chamber of some type? Do I need to get a jacket to increase temperature or can I continue to brew at the lower temperatures? I'm thinking of going all grain, but I don't want to spend the money if I should be focusing on dialing in my fermentation first.

Thanks.

You seem to have a good handle on it and are mindful of the styles you like to brew, the yeasts you use, and the required fermentation temps. I HAD to spend money on temp control because I did not have a place with stable temps. If you can avoid it for the time being and invest in other equipment then go for it.
You might consider buying a heat wrap and a controller if you need to nudge temps a little, but remember that fermentation is exothermic and will drive the temps of the beer up a few degrees. And there are cheap options for heating like aquarium heaters, seed mat heaters, etc. as well as cheaper controllers than the standard Love or Johnson such as the seed mat controller for about $35 (low is 68°) or DIY projects found here on HBT.

You may be one of those fortunate few who can get away with not going to extra efforts to control ferment temps. Here in TX, it's rarely at a steady, proper temp for very long. I've always gone with the fridge/freezer with STC-1000 controller on it.

I am also fortunate to have a basement with steady temps. I am buying a chest freezer to ferment lagers, and use a bucket / fish tank heater if I want to ferment a little warmer.

Back