Ugh...wish I was retired....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
..I've been helping out at the St. George brewery for the last 2 weeks, they lost a key helper (my HBS owner worked part-time there, he left to go work at a new brewery where he will be head brewer) so I've been putting in some serious bottling line work. Last week I got offered a part time position but I declined it because of my stinking work schedule. It would be a perfect opportunity but I'd be killing myself with the rotating schedule I work now. I wish I was 5 years down the road--and retired from the AF. :(

One good thing is I asked the brewmaster if he'd give me yeast--he laughed and said bring a big container! I guess he has a surplus. :)

Sorry for the rambling.....it is just really nice to be around a place that enjoy working in....lot of running around but its in a brewery! What more could one want?

It sure would be good to work in a brewery. It sure would be fantastic to work in a brewery full of naked chicks! :mug:

Still, if you worked in a brewery day in, day out, would it not "dull" the enjoyment of the hobby Dude?

Dude said:
..I've been helping out at the St. George brewery for the last 2 weeks, they lost a key helper (my HBS owner worked part-time there, he left to go work at a new brewery where he will be head brewer) so I've been putting in some serious bottling line work. Last week I got offered a part time position but I declined it because of my stinking work schedule. It would be a perfect opportunity but I'd be killing myself with the rotating schedule I work now. I wish I was 5 years down the road--and retired from the AF. :(

One good thing is I asked the brewmaster if he'd give me yeast--he laughed and said bring a big container! I guess he has a surplus. :)

Sorry for the rambling.....it is just really nice to be around a place that enjoy working in....lot of running around but its in a brewery! What more could one want?
Dude;
Your retirement will come sooner than you think. At least you didn't do like I did and become a technician in the Air National Guard. I'm 47 and I still have over 7 years to go. I'll have over 35 years when I'm done.
If I were you I'd look at school for the next 5 years. Get ready for that retirement day. If you want to work in a brewery, take courses that will help to that end. Work in the brewery when you can and gain experience. I know- you don't need to here advice but sounds to me like you have a great opportunity. They say everything happens for a reason so.......
Relax, Don't worry, Have a home brew!

BlightyBrewer said:
Still, if you worked in a brewery day in, day out, would it not "dull" the enjoyment of the hobby Dude?

I definitley think it could get monotonous after a while--but if I wanted to ever work in a brewery after I retire I'd be that much more ahead of the game. I'm sure I could get a nice addition to my resume from the Brewmaster and the owner of the place, which would only enhance my chances of landing a job after I gradutated from a school. Experience, my man!

RichBrewer said:
Dude;
Your retirement will come sooner than you think. At least you didn't do like I did and become a technician in the Air National Guard. I'm 47 and I still have over 7 years to go. I'll have over 35 years when I'm done.
If I were you I'd look at school for the next 5 years. Get ready for that retirement day. If you want to work in a brewery, take courses that will help to that end. Work in the brewery when you can and gain experience. I know- you don't need to here advice but sounds to me like you have a great opportunity. They say everything happens for a reason so.......
Relax, Don't worry, Have a home brew!

Yeah, I am taking part time classes off and on. The last few semesters I haven't cause I got burned out.

Most of my problem is that I'm just really having a hard time at work right now. The shifts are really taking a toll on my mind/body lately. Rotating shifts get harder and harder the older I get. Overall, it is time to move on. I usually hit that wall after 3-4 years in the same place.

Ugh. The dude abides.

I hear ya, man. At least you have a couple years on me! :D

Amen on the shift work, too. I've been working nothing by swings/nights the past ocuple weeks. I worked a 12 hour night shift Sat/Sun, and I still feel like a turd. Well, moreso than usual.

What strain is their yeast? Doesn't really matter.....I want some!!

Dude said:
...(my HBS owner worked part-time there, he left to go work at a new brewery where he will be head brewer)....

This has peaked my interest. Any clue as to where he might be the head brewer? I have heard rumors that Williamsburg Brewing Company is re-opening....so....I wonder? Probably just a huge coincidence, but who knows?

Rotating shifts are killers and the military always does them in worst possible way. They keep you on a shift until your body almost adjusts and then they change to a new schedule. I spent 63 days on a sub tour running an 18 hour day: 6 in engineering, 6 in control and 6 off for food, sleep and division paperwork.

I bailed after 5 years.

vtfan99 said:
This has peaked my interest. Any clue as to where he might be the head brewer? I have heard rumors that Williamsburg Brewing Company is re-opening....so....I wonder? Probably just a huge coincidence, but who knows?

That is the one. ;)

david_42 said:
Rotating shifts are killers and the military always does them in worst possible way. They keep you on a shift until your body almost adjusts and then they change to a new schedule. I spent 63 days on a sub tour running an 18 hour day: 6 in engineering, 6 in control and 6 off for food, sleep and division paperwork.

I bailed after 5 years.

I've rotated for the last 15 years minus about 1 of those years when I was working 18 hour days in Korea.

We don't work a sked like you described. Ours is all over the map. They teach us in management school to write a good schedule, and it never works that way in the real world. Our sked maker here (and many other places I've worked) is notorious for doing quick turnarounds where you go from days to mids in a 24-48 hour span and it is impossible to adjust to that.
I find myself wide awake at 3 AM when I have to be up at 0545 to go to work in the same morning!
It is really taking a toll lately--besides other things too.

Dude said:
That is the one. ;)

So....details....details. Don't know how much you knew about Williamsburg Brewing Company...but what happened to Hugh (head brewer)? And what is the name of the new head brewer? Do you know what the story was behind the closing?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, but information on this is so hard to come by.

I do hope that the new head brewer has different recipes ;)

I don't know much about it but I know the brewmaster quite well. Once they get rolling I'll help out as much as I can, but the last time I talked to Mike they were still a ways from being able to brew. He said maybe March. If I recall they are still finalizing some equipment buys and loads of details.
Again, if I were retired I'd be begging Mike for a job. ;)

Long road ahead of them and I wish them the best! Craft beer rocks!

Several of us are just a couple miles from his location. Growlers are in hot standy...

Dude said:
Most of my problem is that I'm just really having a hard time at work right now. The shifts are really taking a toll on my mind/body lately. Rotating shifts get harder and harder the older I get.

Just admit it. You miss me. It'll all be better when I get back. :D

Dude said:
Honestly, that probably has some to do with it, yes. You were a buffer with JF and you raised the BS flag before I had to. He hates my ass right now.

Ruh roh.....

I was (mostly) kidding but hey, I'm only an email away.

Back