Type of Beers recommended relating to temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My room temp ranges between 62f - 69f.

Which beer styles can i brew and ferment successfully at this range of temp ?

Thanks

A lot of ales can be brewed in that range. Your question might be re phrased as; What yeasts brew good tasting beer in this temp range?

One should keep in mind that the fermentation temp usually runs a 3-5 degrees higher than ambient room temp. This would put your low end temp of 62F in a good spot for using ale yeasts such as US-05. In this temp range, you will have good luck making many recipes using ale yeasts.

If you can place fermentor where it will remain in the lower end of range, you should be good to go.

Unfortunately at the higher end of temp range, while making decent beer, one may get some off flavors and undesired esters with ale yeasts I'm familiar with. However, others here may have recommendations for yeasts that make good beer at higher end of your range.

Ideally, it is best if beer ferments at a steady temp, not swinging in the 7 degree range you posted.

Ideally, it is best if beer ferments at a steady temp, not swinging in the 7 degree range you posted.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Temp is quite steady, the range i mentioned is covering the coming months of march/apr. At the moment temp is steady at the lower end.

Regarding ale yeasts. Would it make sense using an ale yeast to produce a pilsner or a lager ?

If in doubt most yeast companies post the temp range on their product sheets.

Your room would be fine for most ales and as mentioned above SafAle-US 05. You can out a wet towel initially (active yeast will raise temp more in the first few days) and during the parts of the day when the temp rises.

04 will also be file if you want to makes British style ales.

I think (I can’t prove) the temp swing you posted is less of an issue than temp swings that push or exceed the yeast range limits. Before I made a fermentation chamber out of a mini fridge I’d be very confident with your room temp.

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Temp is quite steady, the range i mentioned is covering the coming months of march/apr. At the moment temp is steady at the lower end.

Regarding ale yeasts. Would it make sense using an ale yeast to produce a pilsner or a lager ?
[/QUOTE]

Lager yeasts prefer much cooler temps than your room although there are exceptions. Pilsners are ilagers.

My room temp ranges between 62f - 69f.
Which beer styles can i brew and ferment successfully at this range of temp ?

You can produce nice ales, but you'll not do a real lager in that range. I've been producing ales in my basement for years. Generally 65-67 year round where the fermentation happens.
I use US05 for an American pale ale. Nottingham produces good clean ales, but I generally prefer Munton's and S-33 for more British ale character. S04 I tried again recently and it's going back into the rotation.
You can go for lagerish ale by using Pilsen malt, hops like Tettnang, and US05 yeast. I used to do this with some rice solids added to produce what I labeled "Tutweiser."

[/QUOTE]

Some people have claimed success in making lagers at higher temps with the yeast W-34/70. While I sometimes use this yeast at lower temps to make true lagers, the times I have tried it at warmer temps (before I got full temp control), I found the beer to be good, but lacking in the crispness of flavor associated with a cool fermented lager. Here is thread about this topic;Warm Fermented Lager Thread

You can also make some really nice blonde and cream ales with US-05, and even S-04 that are refreshing, classic("beer flavored beer") and easy to make brews fermented in the 60sF.

Thank you all guys ! Still a beginner and doin a lot of research, learning something everyday ! :) cheers !

While ambient temperature may swing 7 degrees the wort won't. By the time the 62 starts cooling the wort it will rise back towards the 69 and the wort won't actually lower to 62. And by the time the 69 starts warming up the wort it will start heading back down towards the 62. The actual temperature swing of the wort won't be 7 degrees.

If you were to set your fermenter into a large tub and fill that with water as close to the level of the beer it will help hold the temperature swings to a minimum.

Back