Tweaking A Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Wife bought me an extract beer kit for the holiday. Pretty sure this was to go with the kegerator which hasn’t shown up yet.
I haven’t used extract since my 2nd brew many moons ago.
I figure if I brew as is, it will be a little too close to BCM

The kit is a American Cream ale.
I have my own cream ale recipe which is all grain and uses oats, cascade ( dry hop citra or Mosiac)

This kit uses Williamette at 60
Saaz at 20.

I was thinking at very least adding some oats (store brand as I won’t make it to LHBS)

any recommendations??

Attachments

• 13D7DDE4-7C3C-4E0C-BAF2-6904FF85127C.jpeg
    13D7DDE4-7C3C-4E0C-BAF2-6904FF85127C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I was thinking at very least adding some oats (store brand as I won’t make it to LHBS)
Oats from the supermarket are A-OK to use, whether it's Old Fashioned, Quick Oats, or (unflavored) Instant Oats.
Store brand/generics are as good as Quaker.

Our recipe database has many good examples you can build up to. Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops" perhaps?

The extract cannot comvert the starches in the oats because it has no enzymes. Adding some pale malt to it can do the conversion. It will be drinkable without the conversion but may have more starch haze than you are expecting.

Back