popped yeast packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwallen

Reaction score
While attempting to pop the starter packet in my yeast package i accidentally popped the pack itself shooting some of the yeast liquid all over. I ended up throwing it out due to fear of losing some of the yeast i needed and fear of poor sanitation since i still had a few hours before using it. Could I have still used it? How could I have salvaged it?

I did that once, it was actually a small hole so ended up rinsing the package off by dunking it in my sanitizer bucket. Kind of held pressure on the pack so that the fluid did not travel into the pack.
I always dunk the package in my sanitizing bucket before I bust the nutrient packet now; that way if the packaging breaks, the outside is already sanitary. If it's one of those WPL tubes, yeast always seem to overflow. I place the tube in sanitizing solution too before I open them. This overflow happens because I place the tube at fermentation temp prior to opening.

Then I made a starter immediately.

Back