Turning old Delfield commercial fridge to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousFishes

Reaction score
I recently acquired an old Delfield MRPT1S commercial reach-in/pass-thru fridge off of craigslist for $350. Purportedly, it came out of a PF Changs that upgraded equipment (or something). I was due to have a couple of weeks off at the end of the year, so made that my project during off-time.

The fridge was horribly beat up from being used in a restaurant environment. This pic may not do it justice, but there are deep scratches, dings, dents in all sides and the interior was absolutely disgusting, covered in the remnants of spilled food.

a1_AtStartOfGrinding.png

I tried to follow Bobby_M's video on how to use an angle grinder to grind out the imperfections and polish a keg (http://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1887.htm) Here's after one pass with the angle grinder

a2_FirstPassGrinding.jpg

After grinding out the door front and sides, I tried to follow Bobby's directions for the polishing step, but had some trouble. I could not find the polishing pads he refers to anywhere locally or online. I tried to make due with a backer pad and polishing wheels sold at HD/Lowes. This was a bit tricky because angling the grinder too 'flat' would cause the arbor to further scratch the doors. I had hoped to get the scratches out of the door by using a sequence of progressively fine polishing compounds. I found a good supply of polishing compound at the local Sears.

After a fair amount of effort, I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to get most of the scratches out and get the like-new mirror finish I was hoping for. Instead, I tried to leave the scratches in a pattern that might look a bit industrial - as if I'd intended it to end up that way.

a8_DoorGrindingCompleteCloseup.jpg

I bought a 4 faucet fridge keg kit from Keg Connection (http://www.kegconnection.com/4-faucet-fridge-homebrew-kegerator-kit/). I was planning to buy once, cry once on Perlick 650SS with flow control. During the holidays, they had a free upgrade to the stainless CMB V2G faucets. I couldn't find any reviews on these faucets, but couldn't pass up the free CMB upgrade, given the cost of the Perlicks. Here's the door drilled for shank assemblies:

a10_ShankHolesDrilled.jpg

And with the 4 taps in:

a12_FourTapsIn.jpg

One of the things about the fridge that appealed to me was the ability to fit 4 kegs and the CO2 canister on the 'floor' of the fridge. I can also fit one bucket during a cold crash. Instead of having to lift full, heavy kegs over one another, if I need to access a keg in the back of the fridge, I just spin it on its casters and reach in through the door in the back.

I bought the Morebeer Torpedo kegs because the fridge is tall enough that I have the ability to potentially stack additional kegs with fittings in place. I should also be able to use the shelving to add an additional level for kegs or even to store hops/yeast.

a14_InsideWithKegsLines.jpg

The last step was to print out my brewery's logo on photo paper and run through a laminator. It's attached to the door with velcro.

a20_FinishedWithLogos.jpg

And I am doing the same treatment for each of my beers. I created a template in powerpoint so I just replace the brew name, IBUs and ABV, print, laminate, cut and place above the respective tap.

a21_LogosCloseup.jpg

Nice job! 49'ers fan? ;)

Yup! I'm in North Carolina now, but grew up on the SF peninsula, right between San Francisco and San Jose. As a kid, we could ride our bikes over to their practice facility and watch the players practice through the gaps in the fencing. My wife bought me the tap handle as a Christmas present this year :)

So far, I really like the Torpedo kegs a lot. This was, however, my first foray into kegging. I'm generally a buy once, cry once advocate. I read quite a bit here about different approaches and products before buying. A couple of things swayed me to the Torpedo kegs:

- I liked the comfort of the rolled handles for lifting when filled

- One LHBS store sells Italian ball lock kegs, but I did not like the sharp edges on the handle, they do not allow for stacking with connections in place and they are quite a bit more expensive than the Torpedos

- I read somewhere that the rubber top on most corny kegs is prone to wear and marking surfaces. Even falling off... The idea of black scuffs on my hardwoods (I still brew in my kitchen), garage or new kegerator was a non-starter

- The Torpedo kegs weren't that much more expensive than the refurbished kegs offered by a couple of my LHBS. I was willing to pay a little bit more for shiny and new (and no rubber)

- I would have preferred to buy them from my LHBS, but they're just not available locally right now. One LHBS that I frequent most frequently intends to order a palette of them soon, but I have two batches ready to keg this coming weekend and I couldn't wait any longer. So I just ordered two more Torpedo kegs from Morebeer last night, which should be here Friday. That brings me to 4 for now, which allows me to keep beer flowing on each of my taps.

YMMV, that's what led me to the Torpedos and I'm very happy so far

Damn I'm jealous! That is real nice vicious! I have two cram two kegs and my tank in a mini fridge!! You got so much space to work with....Nicely done.

Back