Stainless brewing dry hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmcclure

Reaction score
Just ordered a Stainless Brewing dry hopper. I've never dry hopped in the keg. Do you take it out of the keg after a few days? I typically don't open my keg again after things are carbed up but I don't think the hops will do good think over the life of the contents.

Lots of folks me included leave the dry hops in for the length of the keg. The cold temps help keep things from getting grassy I think. Although I will say I've only ever done this on IPA's and those kegs don't last more than 4-6 wks at my house.
:mug:

So far I've been disappointed with the dry hopper. Both bertus brewing and the stainless website said little if any dry hops will make it through the screen. I've poured 12 pints and all have loads of hop material in it

I've been very busy with two moves and keeping up with orders the past two months so I haven't had a lot of time to keep up on the forums. I usually just place the dry hopper in the keg without any shaking involved. I don't agitate the keg or the hopper when I remove the strainer. I don't keep the strainer in the keg while serving beer. If the strainer sits at the bottom while serving beer, you'll have a high chance of the dip tub pulling hop material into your glass. The method I've been using has been successful with only little material with the first couple of pints which is expected. From what I've heard, there's no need to have the hops sit in the keg for more than a week because of the chance of putting off grassy aromas or flavors. I haven't had but maybe a few people that's had this problem. If it continues to grow, we can always go with a finer mesh but these are also being used as a hop strainer for the boil kettle as well. http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-and-Hop-Spider-kit_p_167.html Going to fine would increase clogging and possibly decrease hop utilization.

Back