Wheat beers seem to be getting cloudier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
I had a wheat beer at a restaurant the other day. Then last night, at a different restaurant, I saw somebody else had a wheat beer. I think the one I saw somebody else drink last night was Bell's Oberon. A beer I've enjoyed a lot in the past. The one I had the other day was from another fast growing Michigan brewery.

Now, I know that it is normal (and even desirable, in some people's minds) that a wheat beer be cloudy. Both because of the proteins in the wheat and the low flocculation rate of typical wheat beer yeasts. I get it. It's not my favorite attribute of wheat beers, but I understand that it is normal and expected.

But does it seem to anybody else like wheat beers are getting overly cloudy? Like way more than should be acceptable, even considering the expectations of the style?

Is it a coincidence that I just happened to drink one at one restaurant and see another at a different restaurant that were ridiculously cloudy? And when I say 'ridiculously cloudy,' I mean so cloudy that even below average homebrewers would be embarrassed to serve it to their friends.

Has anybody else noticed this with wheat beers in your area? Or have I just had bad luck.

Back