Trying to wrap my head around it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I have been fiddling with beer smith 2 for a while and wonder if I am heading in the right direction with it. I used it for my first all grain brew except for the recommended temps and mash infusions. I used John Palmers calcs for infusion which were close to beer smith. Beersmith was pretty close to nailing my bottling volume which it stated at 4.5 gallons. And also which I didn't notice till later, I was hoping for five. After fiddling with fermentor loss and trying to adjust my batch size up I have noticed the recipes don't scale up in amounts of grain or hops.only water volumes. You would think if you were trying to scale up a half gallon or three quarters of a gallon of finished beer your grain and water would both increase. Any tips on fixing this would help thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It does adjust the grains if you use the scale recipe button. If you just change the batch amount, the grains do not adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The way to "fix" this issue is to know more about how the program works and how to adjust your profiles.

As Backwoodsbrewing pointed out, the Scale Recipe function changes ingredient amounts. This lets you just input a recipe from a book or mag with the author's equipment profile and automatically alter it to your own equipment.

There are tutorials on YouTube that cover the basics of most functions.

Latest posts

Back