Trying to copy this recipe - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Logo

Reaction score
Happy Covid Lockdown Day Number ___ !

I've been trying to figure out how to clone this recipe by one of my favorite Bay Area breweries - a Blueberry Parfait by Fieldwork Brewing Co.

I just wanted to reach out to you folks to see if you had some suggestions on how I should start... Ingredient proportions, hops, etc. that usually go into a style like this. Never did a kettle sour so hopefully you guys can give me some insight!

If you have a base recipe already I'd greatly appreciate it (; Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

**see attached beer description**

(sorry if this belongs in a different forum section)

THANKS!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 8.12.55 PM.png

Fermentables:
75% base malt
5% CaraHell
20% flaked oats (instant oats are fine), or you can use quick oats/ rolled oats/ steel cut oats whatever and do a cereal mash with them first. Frankly I'm not an oats expert but that should get you started.
Non-fermentables:
Lactose

Malty water profile.

Souring method:
Kettle souring is passé. Try co-souring instead:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

Any neutral yeast like US-05 is fine.

Make your own vanilla extract:
1+ quality vanilla beans cut into small pieces
add them to a mason jar and cover with just enough vodka, bourbon, or other spirit.
Add a stir bar, seal the jar, and put in on a stir plate for a couple days at low speed.

Once fermentation dies down, heat pasteurize some frozen blueberries (bring to 150°F for 15 minutes) then allow to cool and add them, in a mesh bag.

At packaging add a light hop tea and vanilla extract to taste.

Cheers

Fermentables:
75% base malt
5% CaraHell
20% flaked oats (instant oats are fine), or you can use quick oats/ rolled oats/ steel cut oats whatever and do a cereal mash with them first. Frankly I'm not an oats expert but that should get you started.
Non-fermentables:
Lactose

Malty water profile.

Souring method:
Kettle souring is passé. Try co-souring instead:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

Any neutral yeast like US-05 is fine.

Make your own vanilla extract:
1+ quality vanilla beans cut into small pieces
add them to a mason jar and cover with just enough vodka, bourbon, or other spirit.
Add a stir bar, seal the jar, and put in on a stir plate for a couple days at low speed.

Once fermentation dies down, heat pasteurize some frozen blueberries (bring to 150°F for 15 minutes) then allow to cool and add them, in a mesh bag.

At packaging add a light hop tea and vanilla extract to taste.

Cheers

wow thank you so much! How did you come up with the grain bill? I’m guessing just from experience? Also, what do you mean by hop tea?

How did you come up with the grain bill?
I pulled it out of my ass based on how you described the beer. Even though it's unlikely to be exactly what the brewery actually uses, it would be ok for this beer, assuming whatever brew system you use can handle that level of oats. They're gummy.

Hop tea is just hops steeped in boiling water. Czech Saaz would be my choice, steeped 15 minutes to add about 3-5 IBU (should be approx 0.5oz /5gal), or whatever the brewery says they used.

Back