Trying a different technique for fermenting a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnMoose

Reaction score
So my brother and I are each doing an extract hefeweizen kit, kind of a competition.
When I picked up the yeast for mine, I spoke with a guy at Midwest brewing about trying to bring out a little bit more of the banana and clove characteristics. He suggested that once I get it to the fermenter bucket, don't put the lid and air lock on it, just cover it with cheesecloth and give it a good stir each day for the first week. He said it was opposite of what everyone teaches about homebrewing, but to trust him. I noticed on his profile that he's won awards for his hefeweizen, so I'm giving it a go.
Has anyone else ever tried anything like this?
Once it goes into the secondary, I will be using the carboy and airlock.

Aeration reduces ester formation, so that was bad advice. What you should do is add nutrients.

What yeast did you select?

Fermenting open - sure, I've seen videos of commercial German hefe breweries doing that (shallow, rectangular vats). BUT, they transfer or bottle before FG. Stirring for seven days is likely to badly oxidise your beer - IME with WY3068, fermentation is typically finished in 3 to 4 days.

As mentioned, open fermentation is typically conducted only for the first 2-4 days, while yeast are visibly active, and the wort surface is protected by a layer of krausen. At the first sign of this slowing down, you need to rack to a closed fermenter with limited headspace and affix an airlock.

Have a look at this early Brewing TV episode, which I believe actually features a Hefeweizen.

Techniques aside, open fermention isn't helpful on our scale.

Commercial breweries do it to reduce hydrostatic pressure on the yeast (the open fermentation vessels are much more shallow). Pressure suppresses ester formation. However this is not a factor when brewing 5-15 gallons.

Just ferment it under airlock/blow off tube as normal. Using a secondary vessel is generally bad practice because it causes oxidation and increases risk of contamination.
Wyeast Weihenstephan Wheat.
Good choice. :)

This is interesting because i actually wanna reduce the banana and clove taste.

I've heard hefe gives off banana when its fermented towards higher end and clove at the lower end . It has seemed that not using a starter is almost under pitching pushes the banana. At least this is what I've got when brewing them .

This is interesting because i actually wanna reduce the banana and clove taste.

I still wouldn't suggest stirring fermenting/fermented beer as a good method to try. If you're set up to do it, you could ferment under pressure. If not, use a less expressive yeast (like an American hefeweizen yeast).

Latest posts

Back