Truffle Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvso

Reaction score
I scoured the archives but have been unable to find a Truffle type ale. A friend of mine has trained his dogs to locate truffles. He is finding between 1 and 2 pounds per day. He suggested we try and brew a Truffle Ale of some sort to use them up. I was thinking a stout would make a great base. I looked on the internet for any kind of Truffle ale and only found a place that sells a pilsner based ale with truffles. It sells for a whopping $125 for a 22 ounce bottle. Any Ideas? Thanks

I scoured the archives but have been unable to find a Truffle type ale. A friend of mine has trained his dogs to locate truffles. He is finding between 1 and 2 pounds per day. He suggested we try and brew a Truffle Ale of some sort to use them up. I was thinking a stout would make a great base. I looked on the internet for any kind of Truffle ale and only found a place that sells a pilsner based ale with truffles. It sells for a whopping $125 for a 22 ounce bottle. Any Ideas? Thanks

My idea is that that's a tremendous waste of truffles. Truffles are nature's gold nuggets, and though incredibly distinct and wonderful, they are also extremely volatile. There's a reason you see them shaved fresh at service. The volatiles will cling best to fatty substances like butter, but in something like the long boil of a brew, I'd be surprised if you ever knew they'd been involved. Completely gone, would be my guess.

I have to think the $125 bottle is a gimmick, and a bunch of crap. What they probably did is add in some "truffle oil" or the like, which is actually a petroleum derivative and fake, after cold-side cellaring. $125? Uh, no thanks.

You're better off getting those truffles, and using them up as quickly as possible in some serious Italian and French classic dishes!

What kind of truffle are the dogs finding? Where (not exactly "where," which is as protected as a gold prospector's claim, but what region?) are you guys hunting in?

There's a local brewery near me that seasonally releases a Belgian Tripel with truffle.
Brewery: Carton Brewing
Beer: Gilded Lily
Price: $24 (12 oz four pack)

Unfortunately, I never caught the beer on tap at the brewery. About a year ago, I bought a four pack to try out. It turned out to be one of the worst beers I've ever had which isn't intended to be any dig at Carton Brewing since I do enjoy their beers. Gilded Lily smelled and tasted like vomit. Hoping the first few tastes were off, I tried my best to finish the full pour and tapped out a quarter of the way through. My gf and I cracked another can and the same results. Horrid smell and horrid taste to match.

Please don't let this deter you. I wouldn't mind hearing a positive truffle beer encounter in comparison to mine. Good luck on your venture!

. . . I looked on the internet for any kind of Truffle ale and only found a place that sells a pilsner based ale with truffles. It sells for a whopping $125 for a 22 ounce bottle. . . .

Yup, that would be Moody Tongue, in my neighborhood. They do 'culinary' beers so the truffle pilsner was in their sweet spot. I didn't particularly enjoy it (I shared a 22 ounce bottle with five other friends, as a pre-dinner drink), but I don't enjoy truffles generally.

Two thoughts - I think a big stout might have too many flavors going on to really show off the truffles, I think a lighter beer, like the Pilsner, makes sense. Second, you could make a tincture out of the truffles - soak them in a neutral alcohol like vodka - and then add them at packaging, whether you keg or bottle. That way you could adjust the level or intensity of the truffle flavor, to your taste.

Let us know how it turns out. Its very cool that you and your friend collect truffles.

Back