Trouble calculating oversized yeast starter midway through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhagey90

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how much malt wort to add to this amount of left over yeast starter. I thought I split it up evenly but I rushed things and didn’t decant it properly with enough time and amount of times. I have about 1.5 liters of cooled malt wort. From this picture can someone estimate how much I should add to this for about a 1 liter starter. Going to use it to brew tomorrow or the next day.

Second picture is how much I put into a mason jar to save for another starter later.

I know this is dumb and I messed up by being impatient which I won’t do again.

Attachments

• DA6CFB63-EDB3-4A33-9548-0357C62E02C5.jpeg
    DA6CFB63-EDB3-4A33-9548-0357C62E02C5.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Started with 1.4L of wyeast and the dme mixture added together. Started it yesterday at 4pm so it was about 24 hours old.

I ended up filling it up to 1.7L because it seemed to have a lot of yeast left in the flask.

We’ll see. I learned how much fun cleaning up spilled/burned malt off a stove top is.

Trying to figure out how much malt wort to add to this amount of left over yeast starter. I thought I split it up evenly but I rushed things and didn’t decant it properly with enough time and amount of times. I have about 1.5 liters of cooled malt wort. From this picture can someone estimate how much I should add to this for about a 1 liter starter. Going to use it to brew tomorrow or the next day.

Second picture is how much I put into a mason jar to save for another starter later.

I know this is dumb and I messed up by being impatient which I won’t do again.

To directly answer your question, no, nobody can estimate how much yeast you have from those pictures.

However it doesn't really matter, since it's safe to assume you have enough yeast in there to inoculate a 1L starter.

Just fill that starter back up to 1 liter and the yeast will multiply to a limit based on availabile nutrients so you'll (more or less) get right back to where you started. Full it up, put it back on the stir plate until tomorrow and dump the whole thing in. I would not normally recommend that, but its probably your best bet at this point.

I started that thread yesterday 😅😅😅. The yeast I started with was manufactured in April.

So far so good, however I may have overdone it because it’s already this high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back