Should I rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan42

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered, however...

In regards to racking into a secondary I have a batch on day 6 now and still very active, should I just leave it in the primary? Or, should I rack into a secondary? It is still very cloudy. It is an experimental Imperial IPA, so I am not too worried about it, but if its still active I think I should just leave it in the primary for the full 14-16 days. Its an extract brew with a large hop profile and lots of fermentables (12lbs of golden LME). Any thoughts?

Yes Im a beginner.

In regards to racking into a secondary I have a batch on day 6 now and still very active, should I just leave it in the primary? Or, should I rack into a secondary? It is still very cloudy. It is an experimental Imperial IPA, so I am not too worried about it, but if its still active I think I should just leave it in the primary for the full 14-16 days. Its an extract brew with a large hop profile and lots of fermentables (12lbs of golden LME). Any thoughts?

Yes Im a beginner.

Yes, if it's actively fermenting, leave it be.

A "secondary" is actually a clearing vessel, so if you're using one (it's optional), wait until fermentation is finished and the beer starts to clear before racking it to the secondary.

Yes Im a beginner.

I would suggest leaving the beer for another 4-6 days till there is no activity. Once you see none, grab a sanitized siphon and get an Gravity reading. If you are not at your target range, keep waiting! Just sip on something else in the mean time!
Cheers

Back