Mashtun Overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only going to be doing 5 gal batches and it'll be mostly English Ales, Hefes, as well as some lagers and Belgians...almost everythign will be under 1.060. I have a Coleman Xtreme 52 qt....will I have a problem?

Most of my grain bills are 11-12 lbs at most...the deal on the 52 qt cooler was too hard to pass up....what's ironic is that that 36 qt was $15 more. Go figure...smaller but more expensive.

Anyhow - does anyone think I might have a temperature sustaining issue since I'll only be using like 25-50% of the cooler capacity?

Thanks

I've used my 10 gallon round cooler with as little as 6lbs of grain before. No problems at all. Just make sure you preheat that thing well. I usually add close to a gallon of boiling water 15min before my strike water. I normally lose around 1-2 degrees while mashing smaller grain bills in that large cooler.

I use the the same cooler (Coleman Xtreme 52 qt) and it works great for any 5 gal batch. Big or small beers they will all fit. You can even do some lower gravity 10 gallon batches in it. I batch sparge with a SS braid in the setup and on Sunday temperature was high 60s, only lost about 1 degree over an hour long mash.

Edits in bold.

I use the the same cooler (Coleman Xtreme 52 qt) and it works great for any 5 gal batch. Big or small beers they will all fit. You can even do some lower gravity 10 gallon batches in it. I batch sparge with a SS braid in the setup and on Sunday temperature was high 60s, only lost about 1 degree over an hour long mash.

Edits in bold.

I'll be using a SS braid as well. BTW - what did you use to connect the braid to the outlet? I was thinking since real estate is tight...to use a couple quick disconnects or is that overkill? I'm using a 12 inch SS braid - I think it's 1/2 inch or 3/8" in diameter.

I've used that link but it deals more with capactity on what can fit....not so much if a particular size is overkill or in some cases a disadvantage (if it's not well insulated and not utilized in capacity)....since there is a smaller thermal mass.

Also thinking of a 3 piece SS ball valve coming out with a cooler kit from Bargain Fittings in between the braid and the ball valve.

I have heard some people use a foam cutout to fill in empty space in the mash tun, but honestly the Coleman Xtreme keep a pretty consistent temperature in my experience.

I am working off memeory but my hardware is a 12 inch SS braid (1/2" diameter), that I put a pipe cap in one end and hose clamped down. The pipe cap adds weight to keep the braid down when stirring. I then hose clamped the other end of the braid onto a reducer. The reducer was attached to a nipple (sorry I forget the size) that went through the drain plug, I may have needed an adapter for this. I put a large washer inside after the reducer and left the seal ring from the orginal drain plug. On the outside I added another O ring seal and then a ball valve with a reducer on the end. Make sure to use teflon tape to give a nice seal.

I may take it apart and add a larger washer on the outside too, just to give it a little more stability. But as it stands now it holds up with no leaks.

It went in order:

SS braid -> Clamped to reducer -> Nipple (which goes through wall/drain plug. Has a larger washer for support and original seal ring in place) -> O-ring -> Ball Valve -> Reducer (for hose hook ups)

Back