Electrical 50hz vs U.S.A 60hz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLC-Guy

Reaction score
All Overseas Electrical Parts are Rated @ 50hz (Hertz)
The United States Operate @ 60hz
Not Sure If Any Cons Assoicated Using 50hz In U.S.A.

Yes there are. If you use 50 Hz in a transformer designed for 60 Hz it will saturate as the cross section of the core is smaller (by 5/6) in a 60 Hz transformer. Overheating and damage to the component could occur. It's better going the other way i.e. using a 50 Hz transformer on 60 Hz but transformers are designed for a specific line frequency and will work best at that frequency.

The steel cross section argument applies to motors as well but in addition synchronous and induction motors turn at a rate that depends on the line frequency and will run at 5/6 their rated speed on 50 Hz if they are 60 Hz design and conversely.

Also keep in mind that houses overseas are typically wired for 240V/50Hz. The voltage disparity will have a much more dramatic effect if you plug a 120V 60Hz appliance into such an outlet than the frequency effect.

Electronics that are sold in both European and North American markets used to have tapped transformers with enough steel to handle 50 Hz but you had to set the right tap for the voltage with a switch or rewiring the power input module. Today the trend is to rectify the AC and use DC/DC converters. These pieces of equipment are labeled typically something like '90 - 230 V 45 - 75 Hz.' If your gear is labeled thus have at it.

Currently Looking Into a 3PH SSR 100amper From Amazon, $49.23
My Heating Element 220 1PH Max FLA Aprox 23A, I Know It's Way Over Kill,
The Price Is Right and Hoping On Life Duration based On Electrical Componet Dissapted Heat, Will Be Heat Sinked & Controlled w/Muffin Fan, This SSR is Rated @ 50hz
Crydom Sell 3PH SSR's 250 & Up, They Make Dual SSR's But Draw Back Is Single Input Control Voltage To Each Side.

Back