My first infection, I think I got lucky. Ain't it cute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
So, this pellicle formed on my Dubbel-style ale, a month after racking to secondary (I know, I shoulda kegged, but I was waiting for a chance to add figs and apricots). I think it is lactobacillus. Any other opinions? As I am also fermenting a Brett beer nearby, I can compare the pellicles, and it is not Brett.

The beer tastes sour, but a soft sourness, which also makes me think it is lacto.

As the base beer was a Dubbel, it was very lightly hopped, so I think it is a good candidate for souring.

My inclination now is to add the figs and apricots I was going to add to the original beer and see what happens. Any guidance on how much to add?

Thanks,

CB

4BAj6N1.jpg

iH8mQoK.jpg

Bumping--would really appreciate insight from the folks on this subforum.

The picture isn't the best, but it doesn't even look like an infection, maybe just a bunch of yeast rafts stuck together. Are you sure it tastes sour?

I had a Brown Ale with one like that about 6 months ago. I went ahead and bottled it, some of them didn't carbonate and I dumped them. The ones that did carbonate were good, and I enjoyed them. So my advice is.... (Insert drumroll track here) bottle or keg and see how it is, you might have a winner!

What was the taste, ButcherBoy?

Yes, there is definitely a sour taste to this. Before this was a classic Dubbel flavor, now not so much.

Here are some more pictures:

6nxMKOw.jpg

uM4vI0E.jpg

ygbBaoo.jpg

mQPjXrt.jpg

I am going to add some Brett, some figs and apricots, and see what happens, unless anyone has a countervailing opinion.

Back