High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamo

Reaction score
2nd time in a row this has happened. My final gravity for two non-high gravity beers is about 1.024. The last batch I racked in hopes that getting rid of the inactive yeast at the bottom as well as agitating the what was still suspended would restart things. It didn't so I gave up and bottled, the taste was ok, but I felt it was slightly sweet, it did not seem to overcarbonate in the bottles so I am a bit at a loss. I have another batch that has been fermenting for 3 weeks now and it is currently reading about 1.024, I am taking a wait and see approach, but since to weeks is typically enough I am not optimistic about it falling on its own.

Dry Safale s-04 is the yeast I used. Fermentation Temperature is about 68F.

Any suggestions? am I worrying too much about the final .014ish?

I will say that I have just moved in the past year and am therefore fermenting under slightly different conditions and cannot draw on past experience.

S04 is usually pretty attenuative, so it can't be the yeast strain.

Have you double (or triple?) checked your hydrometer? As long as you're not using a refractometer, and the hydrometer reads 1.000 in water, then it should be correct.

If it's not a faulty reading, the first thing to consider is mash temperature. Have you had issues with the thermometer you use for mashing?

Well my hydrometer appears to read just a hair above 1.000 in water, maybe 1.001-1.002 not enough to really be concerning imo, but I am here to ask more experienced homebrewers than myself so correct me if I am wrong on that one.

The thermometer I use came with the turkey fryer that I brew in, I shoot for a pitching temp of 70F; judging from the airlock the first few days after pitching I did not kill the yeast. Also my initial was about 1.064 at 70F according to same hydrometer.

Well my hydrometer appears to read just a hair above 1.000 in water, maybe 1.001-1.002 not enough to really be concerning imo, but I am here to ask more experienced homebrewers than myself so correct me if I am wrong on that one.

The thermometer I use came with the turkey fryer that I brew in, I shoot for a pitching temp of 70F; judging from the airlock the first few days after pitching I did not kill the yeast. Also my initial was about 1.064 at 70F according to same hydrometer.

Is this an extract batch, or an all grain batch?

Extract. Sorry should have included that in my intitial description.

Are you using any steeped specialty grains? I once did a braggot where I steeped a fairly large amount of crystal malt, and had the exact same problem...

Yes this kit is the malty brown ale from morebeer and contained 8oz caraviene, 8 oz aromatic, 8 oz carapils, 8oz crystal 60L, and 4oz chocolate.

The previous kit that gave me the same issue was the red kolsch from morebeer and contained 8 oz crystal 60L, 4oz chocolate, and 4 oz carafoam.

Both were 5 gallon kits if that makes a difference.

Alot have people have hit the 1020 wall with extract, theres a big thread on it in the extract forum. I was having the same problem my last 5-6 batches before I switched to grain. I dont know if theres any solution other than aerate well, temp control and pitch the proper number of cells.

I think in the end it really comes down to the extract youre using.

Found a link to one of the threads where this is talked about...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/trying-figure-out-1-20-thing-370694/

Thanks for all the input guys. From reviewing that thread I believe my issue is probably insufficient aeration on my brew day. I guess I'll try to do better next time around. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about this batch is there?

Back