Tree House Green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
As the title implies, in one of my next batches I want to try to mimic Tree House Green. I've never had it so I'm not overly concerned with making a perfect clone, just shooting for a really good beer in that style. There's not much online for this beer but I found 2 people who cloned it and posted recipes, below is one. The other used a 2 row/golden promise combo

2 Row 83%
Flaked Oats 14.6%
10L 2.4%

.25 oz Columbus FWH - 27 IBU
1 oz Columbus whirlpool at 160 - 40 IBU
2 oz Galaxy whirlpool at 160 - 77 IBU
2 oz Galaxy dryhop

A04 Barbarian yeast

Ca-65 Mg-16 Na-30 Cl-134 SO4-62

I'll probably shoot for mashing around 152

I do 2.5 gallon batches so I just put the grain % and not weights as to not confuse. I think the IBUs will be much lower than calculated, because brewersfriend always calcs the whirlpool hops IBUs the same regardless of what temperature you use, which obviously makes a difference. Unless you override the utilization %(10%). I think at 160 I won't be pulling too many IBUs.

Thoughts on the recipe in general?

I read that. That was one of two recipes I saw online. The other one is in my OP, because I have a lot of Columbus and a lot of people think Green has Columbus in it.

I read that. That was one of two recipes I saw online. The other one is in my OP, because I have a lot of Columbus and a lot of people think Green has Columbus in it.

Columbus, Galaxy and Amarillo was once I guess. I believe TH has stated there are 3 hops and Galaxy is 80% but that was a while back.

Columbus, Galaxy and Amarillo was once I guess. I believe TH has stated there are 3 hops and Galaxy is 80% but that was a while back.

Yeah I saw Amarillo mentioned. I thought about including some but don't have any. Maybe I can scrounge some up before I end up brewing and sub some in for Columbus but I'll definitely stay heavy on the Galaxy

The Trinity recipe leans heavily on work in this thread on HBT, which used DNA analysis of Julius yeast to suggest the S-04/T-58/WB-03 combination rather than a single liquid strain like one of the Conans.

It's probably also worth reading this thread on Eureka and the main NEIPA thread. Other beers like Green tend to get mentioned in passing, aside from more general stuff on Treehouse's process.

I would say there’s some simcoe in there.. my guess is simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy.

No oats

Rahr 2 Row/Pale Ale/Carafoam

Treehouse uses plenty of hops in the kettle, not just whirlpool. Green is at least an 80 IBU beer.

Reverse your So4/Cl ratios

SO4 will get you closest without seriously screwing up your beer by adding the other yeasts. If you do I wouldn’t add any until around 1.020 or so. 1098 would be a good option too.

I’d suggest a blend of Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy in the dry hop. 4oz would get you closer. One dry hop amount at the tail end of fermentation.

I am not sure on simcoe. A while back they indicated they could not brew Sap because they did not have the simcoe for it but Green was still coming out. Now, they could have been saving all the simcoe for Green I guess.

He did not say they do not he said they do not only whirlpool. They have said they use a lot of hot side hops. They do a combination of both kettle and wp hops.

Got it, I misread that. Appreciate the responses. That thread that was linked on the yeast strains is some fascinating stuff.

With the exception of Simcoe, I agree 100% with couchsending. Other Half recently released what I would consider a Green clone - it actually said “Greener that you” in the bottom of the can. It tastes more focused on WP / dry hops than TH, but extremely similar other than that. Other Half said they used Galaxy and Amarillo.

As mentioned above, Green is 80% Galaxy. And Nate has said the highest % of his hops go into the boil.

It seems all research on this recipe died more than a year ago.
Any of you achieved an acceptable clone and care to share?
I find the recipe on trinitybrewers's site very vague...

I don't have much to offer in terms of a Green clone, although as I said in my first post I wasn't really trying to clone it because I've never had TH and wouldn't know if I came close or not. I did end up brewing a Galaxy/Columbus beer back then although not the exact recipe I posted in the first post. It turned out ok. It was my last beer before I began fermenting in kegs, which stepped up my beer quality big-time in that it allowed me to minimize my O2 exposure even more than I already was. Honestly, these hazy IPAs aren't hard. The biggest thing is minimizing oxygen exposure to an almost obsessive level. If you do that and use good quality hops(most of them late additions and dry hop) you'll have a good beer. From there you can tweak the recipe to perfect it(at least to your tastes). There's literally days worth of reading on this site about the beer style with great information.

Green in my favorite TH beer. In the near future I plan to attempt a clone.

How exactly does keg fermenting work? I'm new to brewing. I'm currently fermenting in in fermzilla but using tradition racking / transfer method to keg, after primary.

As the title implies, in one of my next batches I want to try to mimic Tree House Green. I've never had it so I'm not overly concerned with making a perfect clone, just shooting for a really good beer in that style. There's not much online for this beer but I found 2 people who cloned it and posted recipes, below is one. The other used a 2 row/golden promise combo

2 Row 83%
Flaked Oats 14.6%
10L 2.4%

.25 oz Columbus FWH - 27 IBU
1 oz Columbus whirlpool at 160 - 40 IBU
2 oz Galaxy whirlpool at 160 - 77 IBU
2 oz Galaxy dryhop

A04 Barbarian yeast

Ca-65 Mg-16 Na-30 Cl-134 SO4-62

I'll probably shoot for mashing around 152

I do 2.5 gallon batches so I just put the grain % and not weights as to not confuse. I think the IBUs will be much lower than calculated, because brewersfriend always calcs the whirlpool hops IBUs the same regardless of what temperature you use, which obviously makes a difference. Unless you override the utilization %(10%). I think at 160 I won't be pulling too many IBUs.

Thoughts on the recipe in general?
They are certainly not using any oats in green. In the early days and up until recently TH prided them selves on being base, lite crystal, and dextrin malt. They’ve also are rumored to use higher levels of so4 than 2:1 ratio often talked about.

I’ve always thought there was simcoe in the green. Usually when breweries list orange sherbet as a tasting notes, it’s very good simcoe. Magnum, Simcoe, Galaxy would be my thought but that only making a guess based on what I taste and that description.

Regardless looks like a solid recipe for a ipa so it’s gunna be good either way. Let us know what you end up going with and how it turned out.

Green in my favorite TH beer. In the near future I plan to attempt a clone.

How exactly does keg fermenting work? I'm new to brewing. I'm currently fermenting in in fermzilla but using tradition racking / transfer method to keg, after primary.
It's like having an inexpensive mini conical fermenter, except without the dump valve at the bottom. It works awesome. I think the only reason more people don't do it is you have to scale your batch size down a bit if using a 5 gallon corny, to account for headspace. Being able to pressurize your fermenter is a game changer. I'm not familiar with Fermzilla so perhaps it can do that as well. If so you should be doing closed transfers to your kegs to minimize O2.

Back