Trash Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thethirstyweasel

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while and I haven't brewed since August I have had a rotator cuff issue and was afraid to brew. I have a lot of old ingredients and so I'm going to do a trash brew and clean them out. So this is what I got:
7# American 2 row
1# Munich Malt
1/2# Special B
1/2# Victory Malt
1/2# Carafa III
1 oz Perle 4%AA
1oz Tettnager 4.5% AA
I get 1.046 @ 75 % and 22 IBUs depending on how well the hops have kept.

and then......I got a quart of yeast slurry from some S-189 that is 3rd generation been kept near freezing not washed harvested from a cream ale on 8/20/19 I'm going no starter baby. Its all in or dump I figure what the hell. I've used really old yeast before but it was ale yeast. I have used some 9th generation Wyeast 1318 nearly a year old before in a bitter and it came out fantastic and I've used some 2nd generation WLP004 Irish ale that was 2 years old in a stout that was pretty terrible so..... I've never done this with lager yeast going to be interesting I thought I'd post results here plan to brew Thursday
Cheers
Weez

I did something similar with one of buddies just to clean out the odds and ends. We called it the Garbage P'ale though it was probably closer to a slightly hoppy Cali Common. It came out surprisingly tasty. Glad yours was success.

Good man what styles are your favorite? I'm partial to English ales myself but I've been thinking of doing some German lagers

You might take some sugar or something fermentable and a little of the yeast and see if you get any action to make sure it will go before you add it to your wort.

Back