Has anyone had Iron Horse's High Five Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Iron Horse (Ellensburg WA) makes a tasty "High Five Hefe" with ginger and honey. I think they are using a more American style wheat ale yeast, because I don't get big banana, clove, or tartness out of it.

I am interested in making something like it, and if anyone has any ideas for the recipe I'd love to hear it.

This beer does have the yeast cloudiness that I associate with a hef, though, so I am thinking WLP320. I was also imagining ~1 lb real honey, ~1 oz grated ginger, and ~8-16 oz honey malt. Bittering hops would be something like Hallertau, and no big late addition because I don't want hops to overpower the ginger and honey notes.

FWIW, I do have total fermentation temperature control.

It may be that this is my first AG batch and first kegged batch, so I expect a circus of errors!

How far is Woodinville from Ellensburg? I was just at the their taproom in April and probably tried it but don't remember. You could probably ask them. My friends have had a lot of success with that, since it's not really divulging too many secrets. Though I have to say that the girl behind the counter at the taproom will probably not know.

Back