Greenlee knouckout punch kit for element and ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm building an electric setup in stages - starting with the keggle. I'm going to stick with propane for now but I have the Camco 5500W ULWD element already. I see Kal recommends the 1.25" Greenlee knockout punch. I like to avoid buying single-use tools but a step drill bit seems messy. Since I also need a weldless ball valve, can I use the same 1.25" punch for the valve as the element?

I found someone locally selling a Greenlee knockout punch set from 0.5" to 1.5" - that may be a better deal if I need two punches.

Any recommendation on a weldless ball valve? I have bought from Bobby M before and had a good experience.

I don't know if other people have had this problem or not (or if I did something wrong) but when i used the Greenlee punch to try and cut a hole in a keggle for a ball valve I broke the punch...twice. When thinking about it I realized Kal was using it on the boilermakers so I kinda figured it was a thinner gauge of steel or something. I just ended up using the step drill and that worked fine for me.

I used a punch for several holes on my keggles with no real issues. You will not be able to use the same punch for the element and the weldless ball valve either. The weldless ball vale needs a 7/8" hole.

Watch out because conduit punch sets make holes that are larger than the nominal size.

Radio chassis punches make a hole that is the same as the nominal size.

If in doubt look up the part number.

alien said:
Watch out because conduit punch sets make holes that are larger than the nominal size.

Radio chassis punches make a hole that is the same as the nominal size.

If in doubt look up the part number.

I just encountered this, I ordered a 1-1/4" punch and the hole it punched was close to 1-1/2" . Looking back its described as a conduit punch!
Now I'm wiser!

If it's any consolation, I made exactly the opposite mistake. I wanted to cut 7/8" holes and got a 1/2" chassis punch. Doh!

Depends on whether you feel good about weldless. I didnt really have an opinion but the silver soldering was fun once I got the hang of it. Prob not necessary though.

As for the keg tool, it is a homemade tool with a bolt, nut, washers, a reducer, and a coupling. You use the nut on the bolt to pull the reducer through a hole (that is not quite big enough for a 1/2" full coupling through) and it creates a donut dimple around the coupling. The dimple is great for holding a bit of silver solder. Anyhoo, it isnt my technique but I did it and Im happy with how it turned it for me. If you search either phrase you should be able to see what Im talking about. I cant figure out how to copy/paste with this tablet, to just give yiu the url.

Lots of ways to beer a cat so find whatever works for you.

Back