Buying an Oxygen Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungatheart

Reaction score
Just bought a 20cf Oxygen tank off ebay and called the company that will fill it for me. He told me something Y'all should know if you're interested in buying one.

In order for him to fill the tank, he must be presented with a receipt/bill of sale from a company that is in the business of selling tanks. He, by federal law, cannot fill a tank with a receipt from an INDIVIDUAL. If he does, it's a $10,000 fine.

Some details: Tank cost $78.

Cost to fill: $16 Making the long term cost for Oxygen $1/CF vs. $10/CF for the disposable bottles. It's gonna take a long time to
amortize the equipment costs though.

I checked on leasing and buying a tank from them and the cost is much higher so, at least here, It's better to buy a new tank and swap out for a filled one.

I wonder if theres a local fire company or EMS service that you could contact about getting it filled cheaper. Not all fire companies can refill their own bottles but some do.

It's my understanding that fire companies use compressed AIR, not oxygen.

That's weird, don't most places just exchange the tank when you take it to them. Your not really having them fill it your just trading for a filled one.

That's weird, don't most places just exchange the tank when you take it to them. Your not really having them fill it your just trading for a filled one.

Correct but to get started in their system they must verify the tank I trade in came from an acceptable source. Next time I get it filled we'll just swap out.

And keep track of your hydro dates too. I have had gas suppliers try to charge me for a hydro on a trade cylinder. I showed them the original bill of sale with a still valid hydro, so I didn't have to pay to maintain their tank after all. It wasn't really the money, it was the principle since I bough the new tank from them and that was a major selling point the salesman employed to get me to drop the cash versus leasing a tank from them for some period of time. Also watch some gas suppliers who have decided to attach a hazmat fee to every refill or other transaction also. It's only a small amount, but over thousands of tanks and sales it adds up to be quite a little profit center for them too.

Wheelchair Bob

And keep track of your hydro dates too. I have had gas suppliers try to charge me for a hydro on a trade cylinder. I showed them the original bill of sale with a still valid hydro, so I didn't have to pay to maintain their tank after all. It wasn't really the money, it was the principle since I bough the new tank from them and that was a major selling point the salesman employed to get me to drop the cash versus leasing a tank from them for some period of time. Also watch some gas suppliers who have decided to attach a hazmat fee to every refill or other transaction also. It's only a small amount, but over thousands of tanks and sales it adds up to be quite a little profit center for them too.

Wheelchair Bob

I had this discussion with the guy who will fill my tank. He assured me he would swap out for a tank with a relatively new test date. $32.50 to have a hydro test done.

Jeez, it's like you have to be a genius to keep from getting screwed these days. Or belong to a good forum.

Back