Recipe Design Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixosx

Reaction score
I am trying to design a low ABV sessionish pale ale with a lot of hop aroma and flavor. So far this is what I have come up with:
70% efficiency
6.5 gallon batch

Grain
6 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs munich
1.5 lbs white wheat
.5 lbs Cry 60L
.35 lbs Aromatic malt

Hops
1 oz Palisade at 25min
1 oz Crystal at 15 min
1 oz Glacier at 5 min
Also may bea flame out addition as well depending on what i find in the brew shop.

Yeast

Mash around 156-58 for 45 mins and the normal 60 min boil

OG around 1.038
Should be about 3.6%
25 IBUs

I am uncertain of the hops as I have never used them. I generally stick to the usual C hops and occasionally some noble hops for the Hefes. I want to branch out and try some other varieties. Has any one used these or have any other combos that they really enjoy?

I chose the grain bill because I wanted a little more complexity, not sure if it is complex enough or if it is too complex. Any ideas on both hops and grain would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Do away with the aromatic malt, and if your looking for a big hop aroma and flavor your going to want to add a lot of hops at the 20, 10, flameout additions.

My advice: drop the aromatic malt and cut the caramel addition in half, and do a small clean bittering charge (Galena) and use 1-2 hop varietals in the end, Crystal and Glacier 1/2 oz each at 20, and 1 oz each at 10, and flameout.

Brewster, What is the reasoning behind cutting the aromatic malt and halfing the crystal? I only ask because I have made some smaller gravity beers and they are really laking in malt complexity/depth. THe last one I made was very thin, prolly due to the notty yeast, but still had no flavor. Just wondering your reason?

Thanks

I say to cut those malts down to open up more opportunity for the hops to shine. I'd at least cut out the aromatic if you want the hop character to take center stage.

Back