Help with my Johnson (controller)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I'm using my Johnson A419 controller to convert my new (used) chest freezer to hold my kegs. What does everyone use for the "differential" setting and "anti-short cycle delay" setting?

For example, if I set the "setpoint" setting to 42F and the differential to 4F, the temp should vary between 42F and 38F. But, the anti-short cycle delay setting may override this if set too long.

So, what are typical setting?

Thanks.

Set the ASD to 12. Then you can decide on the Dif. I typically run a 2 degree differential when fermenting just to save the compressor from cycling so much. Depending on the freezer, you may end up in a a wider range than 2 degrees however. It may undershoot a degree or 2 by the time it turns off. Larger freezers may not do this, my small one does.

Yeah, I was hoping to set it pretty tight (2F), but I'm afraid the freezer will be cycling too much.

Is 4F okay? If I set it to 42F, then it will go between 38F and 42F and average around 40F.

What's a standard fridge do?

This can depend on where the chest freezer is located. Mine is in the garage, where spring and summer days the ambient temp in there can vary considerably. So I have my ASD around 10, and diff at 3. I think if you have the freezer inside you can lower the ASD and diff since the ambient temp around it won't affect freezer temps as much.

This can depend on where the chest freezer is located. Mine is in the garage, where spring and summer days the ambient temp in there can vary considerably. So I have my ASD around 10, and diff at 3. I think if you have the freezer inside you can lower the ASD and diff since the ambient temp around it won't affect freezer temps as much.

Yeah, mine is in the garage as well. I'll set ASD to 12 and DIFF to 4 and see how it goes.

Back