Corona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeav

Reaction score
Hello, i am trying to find a corona clone recipie...i personally am not a fan, but my wife drinks it and says that if i can make a corona clone, she will help me with it. I have been trying to get her to brew with me so she understands the obsession...thanks in advance.

Corona is a lager, if you don't have a way to ferment at colder, controlled temps, go for a cream ale. Despite the name, it is essentially a light lager grain/hop bill. If you want to get the skunky flavor, you're going to have to let it get exposed to sunlight somehow - either in a glass carboy or in clear bottles. Not sure about the amount of exposure; most home brewers avoid light struck hop flavor like the plague.

found this, never tried it tho

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.061 Plato: 14.89
Anticipated SRM: 3.9
Anticipated IBU: 36.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.052 SG 12.75 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
57.1 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
35.7 5.00 lbs. Pilsner America 1.037 1
7.1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.80 32.3 60 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.80 4.3 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager

Glynn said:
found this, never tried it tho

That's pretty much it. If you dont use lager yeast, you could use cream ale yeast blend(wlp080) or even a US-05 at cooler temps- about 62F.
It still won't have the corona skunk without getting light struck.

Effingbeer said:
That's pretty much it. If you dont use lager yeast, you could use cream ale yeast blend(wlp080) or even a US-05 at cooler temps- about 62F.
It still won't have the corona skunk without getting light struck.

What is the best/safest way to get it light struck? I dont want it going bad. And at what point would be the best time to do it?

Aldi's carries a cervesa like corona in clear pop tops that'll give you an idea of what it would taste like with little or no skunking. It's called Monterrey,& is from Guatamala City,Guatamala. I'd rather do without the skunking,myself. When I read where it's from on the back label,it made me think of the sevent in The Birdcage. It's def got thast guatamalaness...

What is the best/safest way to get it light struck? I dont want it going bad. And at what point would be the best time to do it?

He was being (a little) facetious. Corona comes in clear bottles and is badly skunked about 100% of the time you drink it from a bottle. It's not a flavor you want, but it's fair to say a lot of people wouldn't recognize it as Corona without that skunky flavor. To see what he means, do a direct side-by-side with Corona in a bottle against Corona in a can.

Hello, i am trying to find a corona clone recipie...i personally am not a fan, but my wife drinks it and says that if i can make a corona clone, she will help me with it. I have been trying to get her to brew with me so she understands the obsession...thanks in advance.

Can you make lagers with your current setup? If not, then you can't make Corona. You can make a light ale, but it won't be a clone of Corona.

I was only kidding a little about the light-struck. Most of the Corona/Heinekin drinkers I know would think its a different beer without the skunky. I don't want it either, but I always give the wife what she wants. I think the best way would be to do what they do. Colorless bottles. Sit one out in the sun for a bit. Maybe 10-15 minutes. Taste. Not enough, go longer. When drinking = experiments life is good.

I would skip the skunking, (it just doesn't seem right). See if she doesn't prefer yours to a Corona. (1st step in getting her to appreciate good beer.)

I thought they put it in clear bottles because they use hop extract which doesn't have as many of the skunking compounds

I will never forget the first time I asked a homebrew forum for a Corona Clone. One of the responses was "piss in a jug, ad 1 hop cone".
I did end up making a cream ale since I couldn't lager, not bad.

Hopper5000 said:
I thought they put it in clear bottles because they use hop extract which doesn't have as many of the skunking compounds

As far as I know, that was Miller. It also gives them a foam stand unparalleled in the US industrial beer world. I have also heard that Heinekin actually adds back the skunky flavor because to many people complained it was different between bottles and kegs. I don't think I have ever had corona or heini's on tap.

Like I said,go to Aldi's & get the Monterray. It's a cervesa from Guatamala City,Guatamala. Little to no skunking. Actually not too bad that way. I def think that one will give a better indication of the flavor a cervesa should have.

Ok, thanks for the help. I will try the cream ale. She tastes everything i buy and agrees to taste everything i make, she is just not a fan. I will let you know how the cream ale goes!

Hopper5000 said:
ah ok i guess i assumed it was the same for everything in a clear bottle beyond miller

Most likely you're right. That's probably why Heine does it.

Cream of three crops in the recipes section is the neutral way to go! That is a big crowd pleaser on both sides of the coin.

Back