Keg Ethics Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGillette10

Reaction score
I'm considering buying Sanke kegs for my keezer build. I've read about keg deposits and how they can adversely affect smaller brewers. Definitely don't want to be part of the problem for smaller breweries.

I will say, I think "ethics" might be the wrong term here. A lot of people think that paying a deposit for a shell and not returning is "stealing" a keg. There may be an argument for this if you are buying the keg from a distributor, and the deposit is low, like $40. But let's assume I buy a 1/6 keg of beer from a local microbrewery here in Seattle. I pay a $100 deposit for the shell. I never return it. Did I breach the contract? Yes. I did not return the keg. What is the brewery's remedy? Well, it says right there in the contract, they cash my $100 check. If I was really stealing the brewery's property, they would be able to sue me. I'd have a strong defense that I complied with the terms of the contract. Plus, I'd expect that they can buy the Sanke's for less than $100 so they wouldn't have incurred any damages.

Anyone seeing this differently?

The keg deposit prices are generally not set by the brewery or distributor- they are set by the state. Usually, the deposit prices are far below the actual value of the keg. In one state, I know it's legal to keep the keg for the price of the deposit (New York, according to a cop from this forum) but in most states it's not legal to do so even though they might not pursue or prosecute someone who keeps a keg.

In most states, the keg deposit is about the cost of the scrap price of that keg.

The name of the entity who owns the keg is stamped clearly on the keg.

It may hurt smaller breweries more than large breweries to keep a keg illegal, but that doesn't make it legal.

I would suggest trying to buy older, out of commission kegs, from a brewery if you're looking for kegs.

In any case, we've discussed these many times on this forum and these discussions are never helpful.

You may want to check the legality of this in your area to help you decide. But we will not discuss it on this forum, whether you do or don't keep a keg.

And $100 does NOT cover the cost to the brewery! Kegs are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back